Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I am just trying to find a part number. I bought a 2006 Landrover

Customer Question
LR3 hse 4.4L V8 4x4...
I am just trying to find a part number. I bought a 2006 Landrover LR3 hse 4.4L V8 4x4 and the check engine light came on. I did notice that the gas cap is a brand new stant gas cap. so far when the gas is full the MIL light is not on after I let it sit. I have only got the code P0441 once but I would like to be prepared if it happens again. I am looking for the evaporative emission system Purge Valve.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Car
5/24/2015
Auto Mechanic: Randy, Auto Specialist replied 2 years ago
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist
Hi, my name is ***** ***** certified automotive professional with over 25 years experience. I will be glad to assist you with this.Below is the Part number and also the Evap Canister description and installation. OEM Part # ***** $124.51 Evaporative Emissions Component Layout GENERAL The Evaporative emission (EVAP) control system reduces the level of hydrocarbons released into the atmosphere by fuel vapor venting from the fuel tank. The system comprises a charcoal canister, purge valve and interconnecting vent pipes and hoses. The vent pipes are connected to the system components using quick release connectors. Fuel vapor is generated by the fuel in the tank and the amount of vapor produced increases as the fuel heats up. Fuel vapor can flow freely to the charcoal canister via the tank venting system. The venting system consists of roll over valves and a liquid vapor separator mounted internally in the tank and then externally via a breather line. The breather line allows the fuel vapor to flow to the charcoal canister via a 'Y' piece mounted on the filler head. On NAS vehicles the vapor generated during fuel filling and under ambient conditions flows without restriction to the charcoal canister. On all vehicles except NAS, the same vapor is restricted in its path to the charcoal canister but can flow freely during the fuel filling operation to atmosphere, via the filler opening. The vapor passes into the charcoal canister where it is absorbed and stored by the charcoal. Because there is a limit to the amount of vapor the canister can contain, the fuel vapor is purged from the canister when the engine is running and burned in the engine. The purge valve and purge hose are located on the air intake manifold, which is attached to the top of the engine and covered by the engine acoustic cover. The purge hose is connected, at the right hand rear of the engine, from the purge valve with a quick release coupling to the purge line which runs parallel with the fuel feed line along the top of the fuel tank to the charcoal canister. The purge hose is connected to the purge valve on the air intake manifold and is routed, via a hose clamp, to a connection on the manifold. The hose is connected to the air intake manifold with a quick release connector. The purge valve is located on a bracket at the rear of the air intake manifold and secured with a single bolt. The purge valve is a solenoid operated valve which is closed when de-energized. The valve is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM) and is cycled when engine operating conditions are correct to allow purging of the charcoal canister. The ECM keeps the purge valve closed (de-energized) below a predetermined engine coolant temperature and engine speed to protect the engine tune and catalytic converter performance. If the purge valve is opened during cold running conditions or at engine idle speed, the additional fuel vapor can cause the engine to have erratic idle speed or even stall. When engine operating conditions are correct, the ECM opens the purge valve (energized) and the depression at the inlet manifold draws a fuel vapor and fresh air mix from the charcoal canister. When the purging process is active, fresh air is drawn into the charcoal canister via the DMTL pump atmospheric vent connection and its filter on NAS vehicles and via the vent hose connection and the spider trap on non NAS vehicles. On NAS vehicles the system does not include a pressure test point. Pressure testing of the purge valve hose is achieved by disconnecting the purge valve joint on the underside of the vehicle, forward of the fuel tank and connecting a special tool to allow the system to be pressure tested. The test performs a pressure test on the purge hose connection forward of the fuel tank back to the charcoal canister. The special tool is then connected to the purge hose connection forward of the fuel tank to perform a pressure test on the purge hose to the purge valve. Charcoal Canister - The charcoal canister is located in a central position, forward of the spare wheel. It is attached at the rear with two bolts which screw into the spare wheel carrier. At the front, the canister has two lugs which locate in the parking brake module support bracket. The canister on ROW vehicles has a capacity of 1400 cc (85.4 cu. in). The canister on NAS vehicles has a capacity of 3000 cc (183 cu. in). The canister has three ports which allow for the attachment of the atmospheric vent hose, the purge hose and the tank vent hose. On NAS vehicles the atmospheric vent hose connection allows for the attachment of the DMTL pump. The canister contains a bed of activated charcoal or carbon. The charcoal is produced using special manufacturing techniques to treat the charcoal with oxygen. The oxygen treatment opens up millions of pores between the carbon atoms resulting in a highly porous charcoal with a very large effective surface area which is capable of absorbing large quantities of fuel vapor. Once treated the charcoal is known as 'activated' carbon or charcoal.The charcoal canister on NAS vehicles uses a higher grade charcoal which the fuel system to meet the requirements of LEV2 emission regulations. DIAGNOSTIC MONITORING OF TANK LEAKAGE (DMTL) - NAS ONLY The DMTL system is a legislative requirement for NAS vehicles. The DMTL system periodically checks the EVAP system and the fuel tank for leaks when the ignition is switched off. The DMTL system comprises the previously described components of the EVAP system with the following additional components; a DMTL pump and a DMTL filter. The DMTL pump is connected to the atmospheric vent of the charcoal canister and incorporates an electric air pump, a Positive Temperature Co-efficient (PTC) heating element, a normally open valve and a reference orifice. The DMTL pump is only operated when the ignition is switched off and is controlled by the ECM. The ECM also monitors the electric air pump operation and the normally open valve for faults. The DMTL filter protects the pump from dust being drawn into the system when the pump is being operated. The filter is located on the fuel filler head and is connected to the DMTL pump by a hose. Evaporative Emission Canister Purge Valve Removal1. Disconnect the battery ground cable.2. Remove the intake manifold casting. NOTE: Note the fitted position.3. Release the purge valve from the mounting bracket. ^ Remove the bolt. CAUTION: Before disconnecting or removing the components, ensure the area around the joint faces and connections are clean. Plug open connections to prevent contamination.4. Remove the purge valve. ^ Disconnect the 2 hoses. ^ Disconnect the electrical connector. Installation 1. Connect the purge valve. ^ Connect the hoses. ^ Connect and secure the electrical connector.NOTE: Align to the position noted on removal.2. Install the purge valve, align the peg and tighten the bolt to 6 Nm (4 ft. lbs.).3. Install the intake manifold casting4. Connect the battery ground cable.Please let me know if you need any other assistance. Please take a moment to rate my service positively. Thank you very much!
OEM Part # ***** says that it is a DMTL Valve, is that the right part? Based on the instructions and the diagram that you sent and they seem to be different.
I will double check that.
Thank you, ***** ***** it
here is the correct purge valve assembly> http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/MAP500100G
Randy
Randy
Randy, Auto Specialist