Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

Hummer H3: Hummer H3 2006 96000 miles. Lately when driving

Customer Question

Hummer H3 2006 96000 miles. Lately when driving down the Highway at say 70 mph if I hit a small bump I her clunking below the shifter area like the drive shaft hitting the bottom of the vehicle. At first it would be one clunk now a series like a spinning drive shaft hitting.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
the noise is on the floor by the shifter ?
have you been under this truck yet to inspect the front drive shaft from the transfer case to the front axle to see if it is contacting anything at all ? or any marks on it to see if its hitting anything ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The noise would appear to be just behind the shifter area when sitting in the car so where the drive shaft meets the transmission I guess. I did inspect not on a lift so a little hard but so no visible markings at all.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
the odds are that drive shaft is contacting something or possibly the U-Joint could have some play in that shaft causing this issue
since you hit a bump then it makes the noise up on a lift or up the air where you can get a good luck under the truck in that area you should be able to find what is loose or contacting that shaft causing this issue
if there was an internal transfer case or front axle issue hitting a bump would usually not create the noise and would be there all the time this issue should be something physically contacting that shaft
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok I had it on ramps so not a bad view however I do understand it needs to get on a lift. Now if I can just find an honest mechanic in this area.
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
sometimes that's very hard to find
the best bet is to drive it with the mechanic and duplicate the noise for them once they hear the noise they can nail it right down