K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
68360881

Diahatsu Charade: I have a '92 Diahatsu Charade (42 mpg) that

Customer Question

I have a '92 Diahatsu Charade (42 mpg) that I am restoring. Are there electrical permissives that require the transmission to be in neutral, plus the clutch and brake pedals depressed in order to start the engine?
Category: Car
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I get replacement switches for the brake and clutch pedals? What are all the conditions required for the car to start? It has a manual floor-shift 5-speed transmission.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sometimes it will start after I pump the brake and clutch pedals several times before turning the ignition switch ... but not always.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The car was parked in my back yard from 2001 to 2013. In 2013 I towed the car to my mechanic to replace the engine and anything else that required service. It has cost me a small fortune so far ... and the steering is now almost too hard for me to turn it unless the car is in motion. I couldn't find any parts for the factory air conditioner.
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I'll work through this with you one item at a time. There is a clutch switch as well as starter relay. USing a test light you can find out where power is not coming through the circuit to find the bad component. I'll post the wiring diagram for you.
www.rockauto.com has some of the switches another good sourch for hard to find is http://www.oddballautoparts.com/
PLease let me know how I may help further.