Car

Pontiac Solstice: my girlfriend drove my 2007 Solstice

my girlfriend drove my 2007...

my girlfriend drove my 2007 Solstice automatic transmission (has 34K mi) into bar ditch in front of my house slowly pulling out of the driveway early in the morning (temp was 27 degrees). She tried to back out but could not. I got in the car and it would not shift in to gear. I can pull up on the shifter release, pull down to try and move from... Read full answer

my girlfriend drove my 2007 Solstice automatic transmission (has 34K mi) into bar ditch in front of my house slowly pulling out of the driveway early in the morning (temp was 27 degrees). She tried to back out but could not. I got in the car and it would not shift in to gear. I can pull up on the shifter release, pull down to try and move from the park position to another position but it will just move slightly (with a little pressure I can hear the door locks engaging) and not go into any gear. It is not physically in park even though the shifter shows it to be. I can roll the car forward and backward. I removed the shields under the transmission and drive line but found no damage or obstructions. I popped the cover inside at the base of the shifter and found nothing out of place. What could be the problem and fix?

2/26/2015
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician
If you are under the car, release the shift rod from the shift arm that comes down from the shifter, then see if the shifter moves freely and if you can shift the lever on the transmission back and forth by hand. (Make sure the car can't roll.) Let me know what you find.
Ted G.
Ted G., ASE Certified Technician

I could not undo the shift lever. I jacked up the rear end and tried to move the linkage by hand with my girlfriend putting pressure from the inside, which did not work. I tapped on the linkage lightly with a a hammer. I went up top inside, tried the shifter and it wouldn't shift. I tried it a second time and the shifter started working. I put everything back together and it seems to be working fine. What do you think could have happened?

It's possible the jarring caused the shift interlock to bind up, unless there was ice in there the interlock is about the only thing that could keep the shifter from moving (since it seems like the bind was there and not the transmission). I would definitely inspect the shifter assembly if it happens again, but it may have been a fluke from the car in the ditch.
Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
I just got a “new” car not even a week ago. It's a 2011 GMC
I just got a “new” car not even a week ago. It's a 2011 GMC Terrain. Today when I pulled in my garage, I inadvertently turned the car off at the same time or just before I shifted to park. While the s… read more
Toyota Service
Toyota Service
Toyota Dealership Service & CR Manager,
2006 for escape wont go into gear. 2006 ford escape wont go
2006 for escape wont go into gear JA: How old is the transmission? Have you checked the brake switch? Customer: 2006 ford escape wont go into gear JA: Are you fixing your Escape yourself? What have yo… read more
Ted G.
Ted G.
ASE Certified Technician,
My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 had been sitting in a parking lot
My 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 had been sitting in a parking lot unused for 2 weeks. Came in last night to drive home, and while I can easily shift into drive, neutral, and reverse, the transmission does not … read more
Edward
Edward
Professional at Justanswer.com,
Stop searching for answers—
My 2003 Pontiac Montana won't go into any gears it starts up
My 2003 Pontiac Montana won't go into any gears it starts up fine but then the thing moves but it doesn't go into any gear… read more
Edward
Edward
Professional at Justanswer.com,
I have a 2009 kia Sedona. Last year I replaced the
I have a 2009 kia Sedona. Last year I replaced the transmission with a transimission that supposedly had only 66000 miles on it. The other day, my wife pulled in the driveway too close to garage, then… read more
Technician,
My 2005 Chrysler town and country with 3.8 won't start when
my 2005 Chrysler town and country with 3.8 won't start when I put the key in it does nothing… read more
Edward
Edward
Professional at Justanswer.com,
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
I put the gear on drive or reverse and it wont move does have
i put the gear on drive or reverse and it wont move does have oil and the shifter does move what could it be … read more
Lou P. master tech
Lou P. master tech
Mercedes Benz master tech,
Brakes..indicator..reverse, while the shifter says it is in park
I own a 2005 H2 SUT came home put the vehicle in park, went to get out and the vehicle started rolling backwards, hit the brakes and tried to start the vehicle, will not start. Noticed indicator on th… read more
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Auto Dealership Owner,
dodge: her tires..neutral..chain..no strange noises, no gears grinding
my girlfriend got her dodge ram stuck on the side of the road, she spun her tires in revers trying to get out to no avail, we pulled it out in neutral with a chain, there were no strange noises, no ge… read more
David Dill
David Dill
Master Level Chrysler Technician,
2001 Porsche Boxster: drove..thehighwayandeverything..pulling..shifter
My wife drove on the highway and everything was fine. As she was pulling into a parking space her 2001 Porsche Boxster (automatic 5 sp) got stuck in second gear when she tried to put it into park. She… read more
VWDoc
VWDoc
Owner,
knock or ping..front wheel when I pull off from a dead stop..reverse
I have a 2001 Range Rover 4.6. I hear a knock or ping that sound like it is coming from the front wheel when I pull off from a dead stop and when I put the vehicle in reverse and turn the wheel. Any i… read more
Ironmike
Ironmike
ASE Master ,Ford Certified Master Tech,
Car running..park..I take the car home and put it in the driveway
With the car running and in park, I dropped something off in a business - got back into the car and was intending to go home. I could not move the car forward or back - I could not hear it shift. A to… read more
MasterTechJoe
MasterTechJoe
Automotive Instructor,
Stop searching for answers—
2000 Mazda 626: 15 minutes..my driveway, I put the car in park
I have a 2000 Mazda 626. I went to the store about 2 hours ago and returned home within 15 minutes of departure. When I pulled into my driveway, I put the car in park and turned off the ignition and r… read more
LARRY CROW
LARRY CROW
owner operator,
97 Buick Park Avenue: park position..full upright position..reverse
Can park position be adjusted on 97 Buick Park Avenue? They now park in full upright position after slight reverse action as they would normally park in lowest position?… read more
Carhelp4u
Carhelp4u
GM Service Training
2001 Chevy Venture: shift..park..less than 20,000 miles old
My 2001 Chevy Venture will not shift into park. Transmission is less than 20,000 miles old. What could be wrong?… read more
Joel
Joel
GM Journeyman technician,
2002 Ford Escort: auto transmission----floor shifter, and it..Park
My 2002 Ford Escort has auto transmission----floor shifter, and it won't come out of "Park"… read more
Larry
Larry
Technical Editor,
98 Subaru Legacy: runs fine..highway..steering column..shifter
my automatic 98 Subaru Legacy runs fine, but last night I drove about 60 highway mi. and when I pulled into my driveway I put the car in P shut it off and got out, and it rolled, what the heck? I chec… read more
William B
William B
1997 Buick LeSabre: park..shifter..disconnected..the car wont move
I have a 1997 Buick LeSabre. I let my stupid sister drive it and apparantly she threw the car in park while rolling. Now, it seems like the shifter is disconnected - the car wont move in any gear. Whe… read more
Frank
Frank