Car

Ask a mechanic online and get answers to your car questions

Nissan bakkie NP 200: morning i accidentally filled one litre…

morning i accidentally filled one litre...
morning
i accidentally filled one litre diesel into a petrol vehicle and then filled directly afterwards with 12 litre petrol
will this damage the effect the enigine
i did drive 22km afterwards, nothing happenend
5/17/2014
Auto Mechanic: Clement, Diagnostic Technician replied 8 years ago
Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician
Hi there,

No, you will be fine. The diesel will still burn in the engine. If it is only 1 litre of diesel that has gone in then you are safe. What can happen is that it may smoke out the exhaust a bit, but other than that you have not put excessive amounts of diesel in to have any adverse effect on the engine.

Fortunately for you it was not the other way around. Putting petrol into a diesel car however, is a lot more serious and can have expensive consequences!

What I do recommend is to top up the rest of the tank and fill it up with petrol - this will help to dilute the diesel and you will find most of it to be gone by your 2nd or 3rd refuel.

If you are satisfied with my help, remember to give me a positive rating on JA!

Clement
Clement, Diagnostic Technician