Car

Suzuki Grand Vitara: Hello, I have a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara…

Hello, I have a 2002 Suzuki...

I have a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited. When I shift intoXXXXX the light comes on the dash and theXXXXXWORKS, but it's VERY loud. Then, when I want to disengage theXXXXX I shift, the light goes OUT ... BUT, theXXXXXdoes NOT disengage. I have to drive for at least 5 minutes before it will switch over. Most of time I'm already... Read full answer

I have a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara Limited. When I shift intoXXXXX the light comes on the dash and theXXXXXWORKS, but it's VERY loud. Then, when I want to disengage theXXXXX I shift, the light goes OUT ... BUT, theXXXXXdoes NOT disengage. I have to drive for at least 5 minutes before it will switch over. Most of time I'm already on a dry surface and I know it's not good to drive on dry surfaces with the 4 WD but I can't get it to disengage. And, if I drive faster than 20-30 mph, it is SO LOUD. There are no more Suzuki repair shops (dealers) and I don't know where I should go to have it looked at. Thankfully the 4 WD works because we've had some serious snow, but it's definitely not functioning properly. Thank you!
2/6/2014
Greg
Greg, Technician
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Hi there is so many issue with the 4WD that could cause your problem its best to have checked with a shop that knows this vehicle so with there not being any Suzuki dealers in your area take it to Chevy dealership, as the Chevy Tracker is the same car just another badge.

First when you select or deselect 4WD then do this in "N" when going out of 4WD the shift to "N" put into 2WD then reverse a few meters this may help to disengage out of 4WD.

Sorry one can't give you an exact answer as this could be any of many issue that will have to be seen .

The loud noise could be anything from a bad U Joint to a front drive shaft or CV joint all this will have to be checked on a lift ..

Need further assistance then please let me know.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,
For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg
Greg
Greg, Technician

I previously owned a tracker so I know that they are the same truck, that is why I sought out the grand vitara when I could no longer find a tracker. I didn't want to go to Cheverolet unless absolutely necessary and they have a 7 day waiting list. I've already tried the "N" thing.. the guy from Cheverolet suggest it. It doesn't work. Thanks for being nice but I didn't get anymore info than I already knew. :)

Still looking for an answer to your question? 
Similar Q&As
My car starts fine, but when I put it into reverse it dies.
My car starts fine, but when I put it into reverse it dies. So I started it in neutral & shifted into drive it went but in less than a mile it died several more times. What is wrong with my vehicle???… read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
I just purchased from a used car dealer a 2008 Suzuki Grand
Hi there, I just purchased from a used car dealer a 2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara. Are you familiar with the model? I have a question about its 4WD system. … read more
JOHN aka Eauto
JOHN aka Eauto
self employed,
Suzuki 2008 grand vitara system check light on. possible
Suzuki 2008 grand vitara system check light on. possible causes? … read more
Automotive Technician,
Stop searching for answers—
I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 that has recently been
I have a Suzuki Grand Vitara 2006 that has recently been making grinding noises in the engine and drives very choppy. I can't drive it because it won't go above 10 mph … read more
Engineer,
Suzuki GV: The ESP light is on on my 2006 Grand Vitara and
The ESP light is on on my 2006 Grand Vitara and my mechanic told me it's a code 1028 master cylinder pressure sensor circuit failure. It needs an ESP hydraulic control unit ($2675.00). The car seems o… read more
Billy
Billy
Bachelor's degree
Suzuki grand vitara XL-7: front wheels..mechanic says
I have a Suzuki grand vitara XL-7XXXXXw/std shift. TheXXXXXis not working When I shift intoXXXXX the transmission shifts to low range but, will not engage the front wheels -- "will not engage 4-wheel … read more
Dad Mechanic
Dad Mechanic
Get a personalized answer to your question. 
2000 Suzuki Vitara: to my local mechanic..compression..passengers side
Hi Suzuki, I was driving and my car just quit, Took my 2000 Suzuki Vitara to my local mechanic and he said that compression to the left side of the engine is not working, however the right side passen… read more
Randall C
Randall C
Auto Technician / Consultant,
What does ESP light on Suzuki Grand Vitara mean? How to fix?
What does the ESP light on 2006 Suzuki Grand Vitara indicate when it stays on all the time and what does it take to fix the problem. Can I fix the problem and what is the danger of driving the car wit… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
2001 Suzuki: Grand..Shifted..lever..it will willnot shift
2001 Suzuki 2.5 Grand Vatari Shifted 4 wheel lever into 4 high and now it will willnot shift out nio matter what I do??????? Thank You Ray [email protected]… read more
spire suzuki
spire suzuki
Workshop supervisor/tech,
2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara: cyl..my tail lights but I have brake lights
i have a 2002 Suzuki Grand Vitara 6 cyl 4/wd. i am experiencing a problem where i have no dash background light but i still have all of my instrument lights and i also lost my tail lights but I have b… read more
Mastertech 1
Mastertech 1
Lead Technician,
2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara: automatic transmission..it starts ok
I have a 2000 Suzuki Grand Vitara with an automatic transmission. A month ago starting in Drive felt like it started in 3rd gear. Putting it in 1st manually it starts ok. Shifts manually to 2nd ok and… read more
Billy
Billy
Bachelor's degree
suzuki grand vitara: diesel..four wheel drive disengaged..few seconds
I have a suzuki grand vitara diesel 2001. During the recent spell of snow the four wheel drive disengaged after only a few seconds even though there was plenty of snow on the ground and it was very sl… read more
HondaPlatinum
HondaPlatinum
Stop searching for answers—
2009 Grand Vitara: my speedometer..talked to then local dealer
I have 2009 Grand Vitara with P225 70 R 16 tires I want to put 235 75 R16 tires on it. Do they make different speedometer gears for it ao my speedometer will be correct. I have talked to then local de… read more
Anthony
Anthony
Master Automobile Technician,
2008 suzuki: wheel drive..over 35 - 40 mph..Rear end..faster
My 2008 Suzuki XL7 2 (front) wheel drive vehicle is terrible on snow or icy roads. Cannot keep it on the road at over 35 - 40 mph. Rear end starts to get loose at 35 mph and gets worse the faster you … read more
gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku
Auto Technician (dealership),
2001 infiniti q45: 4w..i get it back into 2 weel drive
my 2001 infiniti qx 4 is stuck in 4w low. how do i get it back intoXXXXX the slector switch seems to be operating fine but there is no change.… read more
Anthony
Anthony
Master Automobile Technician,
02 Suzuki Grand vitara: 4 wd, and the abs and brake lights came..4WD
I have a '02 Suzuki Grand Vitara XL7. Last night, I was backing into the icy driveway, had it in 4 WD, and the ABS and brake lights came on. Car was skidding some, I ended up taking it out of 4WD and … read more
Mike V.
Mike V.
technician,
Subaru and Nissan factory training.
1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara: 4-wheel drive V6..my spark plugs
I have a 1999 Suzuki Grand Vitara, 4-wheel drive V6. Afew months ago when my spark plugs were getting changed, I was told there was black oil on the underside of the spark plug where it goes into the … read more
OnlineHelp
OnlineHelp
1999 honda accord ex: 4cyl..30-40 mph and faster my makes..bearings
I have a 1999 honda accored ex 4cyl. when i drive the go going about 30-40 mph and faster my makes a loud humming noise i have changed my bearings on one side what could it be ....… read more
Steve
Steve
Service Manager/ Technician,