Mastertech1
Mastertech1, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  30 years of all phases automotive diagnostics and repair
24034660

Oldsmobile alero: I have a 2000 oldsmobile Alero that will

I have a 2000 oldsmobile Alero that will shut down while driving. It does not sputter or make noise, it is just as if I had the key in the on position, and I lose power steering and the car just shuts off. What could be causing that
THe issue you are having is very common with w crankshaft posistion sensor that is bad! This sensor sends a signal to the engine controller (computer) to control the ignition system spark (spark for the spark plugs) You need to have the computer codes read (any autozone or advanced auto parts will read the codes for free) to confirm that the crank sensor is bad! Then the sensor will have to be replaced. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX me know if I can be of any other assistance to you with this issue!