Technician Chris
Technician Chris, Technician
Experience:  I am a certified ASE Master Technician with L1 Advanced Diagnostic Specialist and over 15 years experience.
29613880

Dodge: I have 1997 dodge caravan directionals do not function

I have 1997 dodge caravan directionals do not function bought part but nothing looks like it on inside relay fuse panel. where should i look?

The most common source of this issue is a faulty turn signal switch, also called the multi-function switch. Part number:(NNN) NNN-NNNNA. See below for the testing procedure to confirm a faulty part, and the replacement procedure.

Testing and Inspection

To test turn signal, headlamp beam select and optical horn portion of the multi-function switch:

1. Remove the multi-function switch, refer to removal procedures.

Turn Signal - Multi-Function Switch Pin Numbers

1. Using an ohmmeter check continuity reading between multi-function switch pins. Refer to the above image for proper pin numbers and Turn Signal Multi-Function Switch Test table.

TURN SIGNAL / MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH TEST TABLE
Switch position = Continuity Between
Left = 4 and 8
Right = 3 and 8
Hazard = 1 and 8
LO beam = 9 and 10
HI beam = 9 and 12

Service and Repair

WARNING: BEFORE SERVICING A STEERING COLUMN EQUIPPED WITH AN AIRBAG REFER TO AIR BAGS AND SEAT BELTS FOR SAFE SERVICE PROCEDURES .

REMOVAL

1. Release hood latch and open hood.
  2. Disconnect and isolate battery negative cable.
  3. Remove upper and lower steering column shrouds.

Turn Signal Multi-Function Switch

1. Disconnect wire connector from back of turn signal multi-function switch.
  2. Remove screws holding turn signal switch to steering column adapter collar.
  3. Remove turn signal switch. INSTALLATION
    • For Installation, reverse the above procedures. Verify switch operation by placing the control stalk in either the right or left position and turning the steering wheel to ensure the automatic cancellation of the switch.

How is this bad service? I have given you information on testing and replacement of the common issue for the symptoms you have given me. Do you have further questions? I can assist, but I need you to give me a positive rating. What else can I help with?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
I wan to know where the turn signal relay (which I purchased) is supposed to be found. I checked uner the hood in the Fuse/rely box, nothing. I checked under the dash and found 2 relay boxes one sounded only when I hit the 4 ways the other was silent. The part I bought is more square than rectangle, so now I' stumped as to it's location. Am I barkin up the wrong tree?

There is no actual turn signal relay. I think you mean the turn signal flasher. This is the part that actually causes the signals to flash. It does look like a relay though. The flasher part number is(NNN) NNN-NNNNand goes for $55 from the dealer. Is this what you purchased? Please reconsider changing my rating to good or better.

Relay Locations

#4 is the flasher in the picture above.

See below for all info regarding the turn signal system:

Combination Flasher -- Without Daytime Running Lamps (DRL)

Combination Flasher Location

SYSTEM OPERATION
The turn signals are actuated with a lever on the left side of the steering column just ahead of the steering wheel. The signals are automatically turned off by a canceling cam (two lobes molded to the clock- spring mechanism). The cam comes in contact with the cancel actuator on the turn signal (multi-function) switch assembly. Either cam lobe, pushing on the cancel actuator, returns the switch to the OFF position.

Lane change signaling is actuated by applying partial turn signal stalk movement toward the direction desired until the indicator lamps flashes in the instrument cluster. When the switch stalk is released the stalk will spring back into the neutral position turning OFF the turn signal.

With the ignition switch ON and the turn signal switch stalk actuated left or right, current flows through the:

A chime will sound after the vehicle has traveled a distance of approximately 0.5 Mile with the turn signal ON.

FLASHER MODULE DESCRIPTION
The Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher is a module providing the vehicle with turn signal and hazard warning functions and has been designed with internal relays to take advantage of low current switching requirements in the vehicle. It is plugged into the Junction Block at position 4, where all wiring associated with its operation is terminated.

The Junction Block is adjacent to and left of the steering column of the vehicle.

To gain access to the flasher, remove the lower steering column cover and knee blocker.

Junction Block Terminal Pins

FLASHER MODULE OPERATION
The Turn Signal/Hazard Warning Flasher is a module providing turn signal, hazard warning functions and has been designed with internal relays to take advantage of low current switching requirements in the vehicle. It is plugged into the Junction Block at position 4 where all wiring associated with its operation is terminated. The Junction Block is adjacent to and left of the steering column of the vehicle.

To gain access to the device, remove the lower steering column cover and knee blocker.

The combination flasher may be operated in its hazard warning mode either with or without the ignition circuit being active. However, in order to operate in the turn signal mode, the ignition circuit must be completed to the module.

While the combination flasher is idle, there is no current drawn through the module. The device does not become active until a signal ground circuit is supplied to either of the turn signal inputs or the hazard warning input.

Typical flash rate for the flasher is 90 flashes per minute . When a lamp is burnt out for a given side of the vehicle or a wire is open to a lamp, the flash rate will increase to 180 flashes per minute when in the turn signal mode. When in the hazard warning signal mode the flash rate remains at 90 flashes per minute .

Turn signal inputs that actuate the flasher are low current grounds, each drawing a maximum of 300 mA and are provided to the flasher through the Junction Block from the multi-function switch that is mounted to the steering column. The hazard warning signal input is a low current ground drawing a maximum of 600 mA through the multi-function switch.

Electronic Combination Flasher Circuit

Junction Block Terminal Call-Out

CIRCUIT OPERATION
The battery input (Pin 1), is brought into the Junction Block through the Electrical Distribution Wiring (EDW) harness through. It originates under the hood in the Power Distribution Center (PDC) through a 20 ampere fuse at position 15 (5th position from the upper end) and labeled HAZARD. This circuit (L09) is the only power feed to the combination-flasher/DRL.

The ignition input of Pin 6, only senses that the ignition circuit is ON and does not supply current to the module in a way that would power the system. This RUN/START circuit is brought into the junction block to a 10 ampere fuse labeled TS BU LMP at the bottom right side. The circuit designation out of the fuse is A22D.

This circuit feeds the combo-flasher and the following systems with Ignition voltage if the vehicle is so equipped:

• Back-Up Lamps
  • Electrochromic Inside Rear view Mirror
  • A/C Control Head
  • Mini-Trip Computer
  • ABS Module
  • Front Blower Relay Coil
  • Rear Blower Relay Coil
  • AWD Solenoids
  • Rear Window Defogger (EBL) Relay Coil

The ignition input to the combo-flasher will draw typically 5 mA of current while active.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will rate you better! Sorry for all the confusion. I liked your 2nd answer but could not see any of the pics or digrams. Since my computer does a lot with pics I guess I'll have to chat with Webmaster to fix problem. Thank you for your patience. Al