Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

isuzu redeo: 2002 Isuzu rodeo 3.5l slight miss and check eng.

2002 Isuzu rodeo 3.5l slight...
2002 Isuzu rodeo 3.5l slight miss and check eng. light on. replaced intake, new plugs. code shows #4 misfire and multi. misfires
11/14/2013
Tim's Auto Repair

Tim's Auto Repair :

Hi,My name is Tim,

I will do my best to assist you

Tim's Auto Repair :

the engine is a 3,2...right?

Tim's Auto Repair :

didnt have the 3.5 in 02

Tim's Auto Repair :

are you there?

Customer:

like I said, new intake, have vacuum for top of engine, new plugs, was perfect for 2 days then ck engine light came back on and the slight miss started, then 2 days later ck engine like went off and ran great for 2 miles, then ck engine light came back on, scaned it and # XXXXX misfire and multiple misfires

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

from the code you get

Tim's Auto Repair :

and from the way you explain the problem

Tim's Auto Repair :

it sounds as if you may have bad plug boots

Tim's Auto Repair :

this is what gos over the plugs from the coils

Customer:

crossed the coils over to make sure it wasn't 4 and it ran great so I don't think the coil packs are bad

Tim's Auto Repair :

no

Tim's Auto Repair :

not the coilpacks

Tim's Auto Repair :

the problem is the boots

Tim's Auto Repair :

you can buy the boots at auto zone

Tim's Auto Repair :

part#91920

Tim's Auto Repair :

these may cost around $50+/-

Tim's Auto Repair :

i think replacing the boots will fix your problem

Customer:

we put a new coil boot on #4

Tim's Auto Repair :

new boot and replaced the coil on 4 also?

Customer:

yes

Tim's Auto Repair :

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

your next step is to check the compression on the #4

Tim's Auto Repair :

to make sure the cylender is sound and no blown head gasket or such

Customer:

compression is good

Tim's Auto Repair :

if the compression is good

Tim's Auto Repair :

replace the 4 injector

Tim's Auto Repair :

there is nothing else left

Customer:

well, have not done that

Tim's Auto Repair :

thats the only thing left from what you are telling me

Customer:

we did put inj cleaner in it also

Tim's Auto Repair :

injector cleaner doesnt do anything

Tim's Auto Repair :

nothing cleans better than gas

Customer:

why would it show multi misfires

Tim's Auto Repair :

i think you need to replace all boots

Tim's Auto Repair :

though you may need more on the 4

Customer:

why would it run so good for 2 days then screw up

Tim's Auto Repair :

after the tune up?

Customer:

yes

Tim's Auto Repair :

because you moved the boots around while replacing the plugs

Tim's Auto Repair :

replace all boots before you do anything

Customer:

ok

Tim's Auto Repair :

those boots are bad

Tim's Auto Repair :

If you are satisfied with my answer,Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic