Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Dodge Journey: Hi, I have a dodge Journey 59 reg, Auto, Deisel.

Hi, I have a dodge...
Hi, I have a dodge Journey 59 reg, Auto, Deisel. When im driving my car if im at 50 mph and then i start to go up a very slight hill the car starts to decrease in mph's down to around 30. I have to then put my car in semi auto mode to go up in mph's and at times is revs really high before it goes into the next gear.

I was advised that it was the turbo charger and now that has been changed but the problem still remains the same! This problem use to happen around 6 months ago and i took it back to the dealer as it was under warranty and they informed me that they changed the exhaust pressure sensor. this seemed to work for some time until recently when the problem is here again. I was recently told that it could be the air flow meter/sensor.

Any help would really be appreciated and urgently as im a foster carer and have 5 children to transport back and forth to school and currently my car is no longer in use as i have currently just paid out over a £1k to have the turbo charger changed as the car dealers wanted £3k.

Your urgent response is really appreciated

Kind regards

Donna
10/27/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are quite a few things that could be causing your issue.

It sounds like the engine may be going into a limp-in and purposely limiting power. It will do this if it sees a problem where it thinks there is a potential for damage or it doesn't have complete control.

It may also be a restricted fuel filter dropping fuel rail pressure.

Most likely there is at least one fault code set that can be used as a basis for diagnosis, the first thing that will need to be done is see if any codes are set.

There are many things that could cause this from the fuel filter to mass airflow sensor, cam or crank sensor signal, inaccurate boost pressure sensor, a boost leak anywhere from the turbo through the intercooler and to the engine, bad accelerator pedal position sensor, an injector hydraulic or electrical issue, low output from the high pressure pump or an issue with the exhaust aftertreatment system. There is a catalytic converter and particulate filter to decrease tailpipe emissions and there are a handful of sensors that monitor their operation. If the converter or particulate filter are plugged with soot or there are certain issues with the sensors then power will be derated.

Sorry for late response, just seen your email.

This is the description that the car dealership gave:

"Carried out checks into reported lack of power, tested and confirmed fault. Connected WI Tech PO299 turbo under boost fault code. Carried out further checks found turbo actuator lazy assessed as requiring new turbo and then test again".

I then had the turbo replaced and the car still has the same fault. I find the car to struggle when accelerating up really slight hills and at time when i have got to 50+mph and come to a slight hill the car will then decelerate.

I will ask the dealerships to address the possibilities in your earlier response, when i take the car back this weds.

In the meantime, if reading this reply and you have any further info regarding the fault code, your help is much appreciated.

kind Regards

Donna

Where did the replacement turbo come from?

Do you know if it was complete? It may not have come with the actuator if it was used or aftermarket, or if it was a used one it may have the same problem as the old one.

A boost leak is a definite possibility also. If boost is leaking anywhere between the turbo and engine it will cause this code to set.

From memory i don't think it had the actuator on the new turbo. therefore im assuming the garage may have used my old actuator from my old turbo.

But i cannot guarantee this is true, will have to check.

Would this make a difference if they used my old actuator?

The dealer diagnosed the original problem as being a lazy actuator, if the old actuator was installed on the replacement turbo then that would explain why you are still having the same problem.

Yea that's what me and my partner was saying. The dealership was quoting me £3k for a new turbo and fitting. When in fact it could just have been the actuator that needed to be replaced.

I am going back to the dealer on weds, so i will message you back and let you know what they say as i am going to suggest to them the possibility of replacing the actuator and check the cars sensors.

I will be rating you with an excellent rating as your help has been invaluable. I cannot thank you enough

Kind Regards

Donna

I'm glad to be able to help!

Let me know how it goes and if you need any more help!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hi Spinkles08

As per our conversation above. I tried to drive my car to the garage this morning and on the way the car started to blow out white smoke, my daughter who was travelling behind said that it smelt like burning oil. can you give me any clue as to what this might be considering that a new turbo charge had been replaced.

Your helps is really appreciated.

Kind Regards

Donna

Was it running ok or was it running poorly when it started to smoke?

Still running kinda sluggish, like pulling back

yes it was running poorly

It's the same as before though correct, it didn't suddenly start running very poorly when the smoke started?
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician