John, ASE Master Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, ASE Certified Service Consultant, 22 years professional experience
19563796

Ferrari ts: 1991ts Passed all of the state of Ct emissions

1991ts Passed all of the state of Ct emissions test except the Hydrocarbons 124 with 88 allowed. What could cause the engine to be burning rich? Just Had the big service Oct of 2012.

John :

Hello. The common failure I see on these older cars for emissions is a slow or non functioning oxygen sensor.

John :

I don't know what items are included in "the big service" but that is where I would start.

John :

If that is Ok I have also seen fuel injectors in these cars get leaky and tend to drip fuel into the cylinders causing rich running.

John :

Since I am sure it was tuned at the service that may still need to be checked for emissions compliance since they do run a bit better when rich but the emissions levels may not agree.

John :

Hydrocarbons are unburned fuel, compared to Carbon Monoxide which is from rich mixture. So something is happening where fuel is not being burned or at least

John :

Not burned completely.

John :

FYI