Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

my mailman friend has a 1972 lemans the refuses to start

my mailman friend has a...
10/22/2013
ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs, ASE Master Auto Tech

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

Glad to be of help. Have you done a compression test? You say you have spark, is it a blue spark at plugs? Have you checked firing order? What engine, 326 or other? What carburetor is on it?

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

If you are using a points distributor, what is your dwell reading?

ASE Master Tech 35yrs :

I'm switching to Q&A format to be notified of your response.

Can you give me more information, such as engine size, carburetor 2 or 4bbl, rochester or other, type of transmission, auto or manual. Standard points distributor or HEI aftermarket. When did problem occur? Has it been sitting a long time or was it running fine then quit? Does engine crank but not start? What are the compression readings?

car has low mileage and not driven this year. fuel stablizer was put infuel tank. engine is the V-8 automatic. factory points. Thats all I know just trying to help him out. He check the spark thru using a scope but not looking at the spark plug. That's all I know. I will get further update today.

It may simply be bad gas in tank from sitting too long, try adding new fuel and /or octane booster. Check dwell and adjust to 30 degrees. Make sure firing order is correct. The firing order for the 1972 Pontiac LeMans 350 V8 engine is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 when installed counterclockwise starting with the number 1 cylinder driver's side.

The cylinder numbers are arranged with the even number cylinders on the right or passenger side, and the odd numbers on the driver's side. If this is a chevy engine the distributor rotation is clockwise. If it is Canadian it may have a chevy engine.

See: http://boxwrench.net/specs/pont_265-455.htm

Check spark at plugs by sticking a phillips screwdriver into end of plug wire and hold 1/4 inch or less away from exhaust manifold and watch for spark jump.

Check cap and rotor for corrossion and/or cracks, carbon deposits etc.

You will also need to dry out wet plugs and clean & gap them to .035.

If you have a drain plug on your gas tank, drain out old fuel and replace with new fuel.

Let me know what you find.

talk to the mailman today. 350 v-8 2bbl. (31,000 orginal miles) he taken out the spark plugs which were full of fuel. dried same and reinstalled. still will not start. he told me that he has another carb and i suggested he install it. according to him the points are set to what you said and timing is okay. he has the manuals but i think he relies on other friends to help out which sometimes can create more issues. I will keep you posted.

If the car has been sitting a long time, the float may be stuck which will flood the engine. This may be true for the replacement carb. If it works fine, but if not, remove top of carb, free up needle & seat, check float & check and adjust float level.

Check to make sure choke opening is 1/16 inch and choke pull-off is working.

See: http://www.ehow.com/how_4760945_adjust-rochester-barrel-carburetor.html

After you get the engine started, use a vacuum gauge connected to intake vacuum to adjust fuel mixture screws to highest & best vacuum reading and check timing. Check to make sure vacuum advance and choke pull-off is working with hand held vacuum pump.

ASE Master Tech 35yrs
Thank you for you positive feedback. Thank you for using just answer.

information- engine now running. Turns out he just filed and reset points.

he had a spare point set replaced it and engine started. Thanks for your help.

You're welcome. If you have more questions in the future, just ask for me. Simply log into http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-asemaster35yrs/ and ask your question. Thank you for using just answer.

car has been fixed. Point set was bad . replaced point set and engine started and runs great. Thanks for your help

You're welcome.
ASE Master Tech 35yrs
ASE Master Tech 35yrs