Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Audi A4 Quattro: Audi A4 B8 09I would like instructions

Audi A4 B8 09 I would...
Audi A4 B8 09

I would like instructions on replacing my Audi's rear rotors and brake pads. Thanks in advance.
10/18/2013
Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and thank you for your question.

I have enclosed the instructions you requested below.

Rear Brake Pads

Special tools, testers and auxiliary items required

¤Torque wrench (V.A.G 1331)
¤Socket Wrench 21 mm (V.A.G 1331/3)
¤Vehicle diagnostic, test and information system

Removing

¤When removing, mark brake pads that will be used again. Install in the same position, otherwise braking effect will be uneven!
¤Operating the electromechanical parking brake again after a long drive is recommended.
¤Brake pad play is automatically adjusted every 1000 km if the EPB is not operated in this distance.
  • Connect the vehicle diagnosis, testing and information system (VAS 5051B) or (VAS 5052) to the 16-pin diagnostic connector in the vehicle with the ignition switched off.

¤Switch on the ignition.
¤parking brake released
¤Coding check and reported if necessary.
¤DTC memory interrogated, errors shown corrected and DTC memory erased.
  • Select function "053 - Parking brake".
  • Select the function "006 - Basic setting".

Display on vehicle diagnostic, test and information system :

¤The request to enter a display group number appears in display field - 1 -.
¤An entry keypad is shown in display field - 2 -.
  • Using the entry keypad, enter in display field - 2 - the "007" for the display group number and confirm by pressing the "Q button". (Reset pistons).
  • Press the green arrow button at the bottom on the left side to exit the entry template.
  • Switch off the ignition.
  • Raise the vehicle.
  • Dismount tires.
  • Remove the brake hose and electrical wire from the bracket on the stub axle carrier
  • Remove attachment bolts from brake caliper housing, counter-hold guide pins to do so.

¤Do not pull on brake hose or electrical wiring.
  • Remove the brake caliper

Do not let the brake caliper hang from the brake hose. Secure it to the body with suitable cable ties or wire. Do not support the weight with the brake hose.

Do not press the brake pedal when the caliper is removed.

• Remove the brake pads.
  • Remove the brake pad retaining plate.
  • Press piston back.

Use the piston resetting tool T10145.

Do not tilt the brake piston when pressing it back.

Installing

Clean brake caliper with mineral spirits exclusively.

• Insert the brake pad retaining springs.

• Remove any protective film from the brake pad backing plate.
  • Insert brake pads.

• Make sure that the brake pads are seated correctly in the retaining plates - arrows -.

¤The brake pads must be seated between both securing tabs on the pad retaining plate to provide the air gap between the brake disc and brake pad.
  • Position the brake caliper.
¤The repair kit includes new self-locking hex that must be installed in all cases.
  • Secure brake caliper using new self-locking bolts.

To tighten the bolts use torque wrench (V.A.G 1331) with socket (V.A.G 1331/3).

• Install the brake hose and electrical wire into the bracket on the stub axle carrier.
¤Make sure the brake hose is correctly installed and secured inside the bracket on the stub axle carrier. So that the brake hose does not come out of the bracket on its own.
  • Install wheels.
  • Lower the vehicle.

Wheel bolt tightening specifications => 44.

• Check the brake fluid level and fill if necessary.
  • Switch on the ignition.

• Using the entry keypad, enter in display field - 2 - the "006" for the display group number and confirm by pressing the "Q button". (guide pistons together).
  • Disconnect the vehicle diagnostic, test and information system (VAS 5051B) or (VAS 5052) from the 16-pin diagnostic connector in the vehicle with the ignition switched off.

Rear Brake Disc

Removing

• Raise the vehicle.
    • Remove the wheels.
    • Remove the brake caliper
    • with the brake pads and brake carrier => [ Rear Brake Caliper with Brake Carrier ] .

Do not let the brake caliper with the brake carrier hang from the brake hose. Secure it to the body with suitable cable ties or wire. Do not support the weight with the brake hose.

• Remove the securing bolt - arrow - on the brake disc while holding the disc firmly.

• Remove the brake disc from the wheel hub.
    ¤When removing the brake rotor from the wheel hub, do not tilt the disc.

Installing

Clean the brake rotor, wheel hub and contact surfaces before installing.

• Place the brake disc on the hub.
    ¤When positioning the brake rotor, do not tilt it on the wheel hub.
    • Install the securing bolt - arrow - and tighten.

• Install the brake caliper with brake carrier => [ Rear Brake Caliper with
    • Install wheels.

• Lower vehicle.
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello Ron,

Is the OBD tool necessary? I have no access to the tool.

Ruben I have had fairly good success doing the pads and rotor with out the scan tool. Just be sure to do one side at a time.

On more thing Ron. The pictures you supplied have changed, they were useful. Is that some glitch on the site?

Sorry about that Ruben, there must be a site issue, try them again and this time try and print them out for reference.

Rear Brake Pads

¤Torque wrench (V.A.G 1331)
¤Socket Wrench 21 mm (V.A.G 1331/3)

Removing

¤Switch on the ignition.
¤parking brake released

• Switch off the ignition.
  • Raise the vehicle.
  • Dismount tires.

• Remove the break caliper..

• Remove the brake pads.
  • Remove the brake pad retaining plate.
  • Press piston back.

Use the piston resetting tool T10145.

Installing

• Insert brake pads.

• Position the brake caliper.

• Install wheels.
  • Lower the vehicle.

• Switch on the ignition.

Rear Brake Disc

Removing

• Raise the vehicle.
    • Remove the wheels.
    • Remove the brake caliper with the brake pads and brake carrier => [ Rear Brake Caliper with Brake Carrier ]

Installing

• Place the brake disc on the hub.

• Install the brake caliper with brake carrier => [ Rear Brake Caliper with Brake Carrier ]
    • Install wheels.

Ron, ASE Certified Technician