Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

volkswagon jetta: I accidentally put .46 gal of regular gas

I accidentally put .46 gal of regular gas in my 14.5 gal capacity diesel tank. Did I potentially ruin my engine?

As long as you filled the rest of the tank up with diesel before cranking the engine, the approx. 1/2 gal of regular fuel will dilute to the point that it will not hurt the engine. I would only advise to replace the fuel filter in this case. Your engine should not be hurt in anyway.

IF you put the 1/2 gallon in and didnt finish filling up with diesel before cranking the engine, then there is the potential for the regular gas to not be diluted and to damage the high pressure pump and injectors
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I did not fill up the tank at that station as there was not diesel but I had just a little under half tank. what are your thoughts? I did fill up in less than a mile?

hi,

Ok, with 1/2 tank of diesel already in the tank, the less thanXXXXXto finish filling it up with diesel will not have hurt the tank. The 1/2 gal of gas would be diluted and likely not even reached the fuel pump or lines by the time you drove the 1 mile.

just have the fuel filter replaced. The engine is fine and no worries on it being damaged