cloe0626
cloe0626, Auto Mechanic
Experience:  was a mechanic in the army for four years and have been working at a dealer ship the past five years
74954164

1993 XJ6. VCM code display doesnt light at night

I have a 1993 XJ6 Base Model (aka XJ40). My light bulb failure indicator went on and I ended up hunting for the missing light bulb, which turned out to be in the license plate. But after I replaced the license plate bulb, my fuse failure indicator and Check Engine lights went on. I pressed the VCM button and it said Fuse 2 indicating the left hand fuse box. I discovered that that C3 fuse that controlled the dome light, map light, and glove box light had blown. After replacing the fuse, I pressed the VCM button and found Fuel Fail 39, which I've had before so that's easy to fix. But, I now notice that the backlight for the trip odometer (and VCM codes and mpg) doesn't work. Also, the dimmer button below the VCM button doesn't work either. I can read the odometer and VCM codes in daylight, but it's totally dark at night. Or maybe the dimmer switch has it so low that I can't see it. Is there a light bulb that displays the odometer, VCM codes, fuel mileage, etc.? And what does it take to repair this light?

Yes there is a bulb that lights it most of the time they dont go out make sure you check all your fuses but if you do have to replace it you have to take the instrument cluster off and you will see the bulb
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you be a little more precise than "check all your fuses"? The car has 70-80 fuses and surely some of thing can be easily ruled out. For example, is the fuse in question in the left side panel or the right side panel? Does this fuse control areas in addition to the trip odometer light bulb that might give some clue as to which fuse it is?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Answer was too general. It's rather obvious that a light bulb not working on the dashboard is either a blown fuse or has to be replaced by removing the instrument cluster. I want an answer that is more precise than "check all of your fuses".
remove all bots that hold on dash look around everywhere even under the dash by your pedals drop the bottom part of dash off there should be 2 more bolts holding the top part of dash on remove dash and wiring from behind dash pull dash out of car remove your instament panel change bulbsremove all bots that hold on dash look around everywhere even under the dash by your pedals drop the bottom part of dash off there should be 2 more bolts holding the top part of dash on remove dash and wiring from behind dash pull dash out of car remove your instament panel change bulbs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

and can you give any further guidance on determining which fuse might be the blown fuse? I really don't want to change 70 fuses.

The fuse that controls the instrument panel is fuse number 15