EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

I have a 2006 Audi A4 and my brake petal is soft and sometimes

I have a 2006 Audi A4 and my brake petal is soft and sometimes goes to the floor. If I pump it it firms up and it works. We flushed and bled the systems and still have the same issue. What do you think
Hi. Pumping the pedal and having it firm up usually indicates air in the system. The other issue that can cause that are frozen caliper slides. If there are several slides frozen, on multiple wheels then you will have that symptom as well.

You also may need what is called a "service bleed". It is done by the dealership scan tool. It is a procedure where the abs module will pulse the abs hydraulic unit to remove air that gets trapped. Just regular bleeding will not remove air from the hydraulic unit.

Has any recent brake work been done on the vehicle that may have introduced air?

Thanks, Eric
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No brake work has been done.....

Have you had the brakes checked? Especially the caliper slides. When they freeze, it causes the pistons to need to travel more to contact the pads and rotors. This will cause a low pedal.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We had them checked, but the only thing that they are saying is that the master cylinder needs to be replaced...... I don't know if they check the caliper slides.

Ok. It is possible that the master cylinder can cause a low pedal as well. You can ask them if they checked the slides. Or maybe check yourself. ( i am not sure how mechanical you are). But I would hate to see your master get replaced and you still have a problem.