FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Saab 9-5 2.3T: Hello, I am looking at buying a 2010 saab 9-5

Hello, I am looking at buying a 2010 saab 9-5 xwd with turbo. I had a 2006 saab with turbo and the turbo had a defect and the engine blew on me. I read that many people had the same problem with that saab model and the turbo. I am wondering if Saab has fixed the turbo problem? I really liked my saab car and would like to purchase another, but just don't want to invest in another turbo unless the mechanical problem has been fixed. If you could answer, I would be very appreciative. Thank you.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me how many miles are on the car you are looking at?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

27,000. However I just heard saab went bankrupt and is out of business. Would it be difficult to find parts then if I need to fix it later?

Thank you for the reply. If Saab was still around then I would say it would not be a bad idea to purchase this vehicle as they have gotten better. The problem that arises now is finding the parts you need. Some of the parts are simply going to be unavailable and a lot of the parts that you can find with be outrageous. One common issue I have seen with the vehicle in question is the valve body in the transmission. It is a common failure and now the valve body typically runs about $1000. I would typically recommend that you do not purchase a vehicle like this. Please let me know if you have more questions.