Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Jaguar XJ8: HI -I have a 2003 XJ8 - the airbag light stays

HI - I have a 2003...
HI -

I have a 2003 XJ8 - the airbag light stays illuminated, and I took it to the Jaguar service dept. and they told me I needed a new SRS module.

Long story short, the new SRS module didn't fix the problem and the service dept can read no codes from the car. They removed the new SRS module and put the old one back in hoping to get an error code. The light stays off for about a month after they "reseat" the SRS module and now it is back on. It doesn't flash, it just stays illuminated. I have had this looked at by the same shop (the only one in my state that is authorized Jag service) and have spent over $1200 and still the light is illuminated. If I can't get this fixed soon, I can't get an inspection sticker, making my car un-driveable...

Do you have ANY suggestions? I appreciate your help.
9/18/2013
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

Do you remember the original fault code?
Hi - Unfortunately they have never been able to get a fault code.
The only thing that happens is the airbag light stays on.
It doesn't flash and when the service department hooks my car up no codes are found.

Have they checked the wiring harness from the module to the bulb and the bulb socket itself for an open circuit?
I am checking with the service dept to see if they have. I'll report back. Thank you

Ok, let me know and we will go from there. I will be out this morning for a few hours, taking my horses to the vet, but will be back online this morning
They have checked it numerous times

Ok, I will pull the schematics and see what I can find that could be the cause
Thank you!!!
HI,

I am pulling my hair on this one. Ask them if they checked the joint connector where the yellow with red striped wire from the control module changes to a yellow wire that goes the the airbag warning light connector at the ip cluster.
They are pulling their hair too I believe.
I will ask and let you know.

Ok, I will keep looking and going thru all the schematics and trying to find anything else - definitely a toughie to solve
Thanks Eric-
Here is another odd thing. The light has been on for a while (after being off after the reseating of the srs module) but my husband drove it and moved the seat and now the light is off again. He rarely drives my car as I am the sole driver. He filled the car up with fuel which shouldn't trigger the light, but could him moving the seat or the weight difference of him being in the drivers seat make any sense?

I love my jag and don't want to get rid of it as I don't believe a 10yr old xj is past its useful life - so I really appreciate your assistance.

Thanks -
Staci

Ok, who has driven it when the light has come on - you or your husband, or both?

Me

Ok, there is no seat weight sensor and the seat belt tensioner is behind the trim panel on the column between front and rear doors.

However, there is the side airbag located in side of seat back nearest the door. So we have a wiring harness that runs under the seat and connects to a harness connector on bottom of the seat which can be affected by moving the seat forward or back.

They need to remove the front seat and check the harness connectors for loose wires in the connector that is intermittently loosing a good contact. Also check for chafed or cut wiring that is intermittently grounding on bottom of the seat frame.

Usually these will give a fault code, but sometimes is just enough to set the light without setting a code.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager