Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Navigator: I have a lincoln navigator 1998 and yesterday When

Customer Question
I have a lincoln navigator...
I have a lincoln navigator 1998 and yesterday When i driving my car at morning I found the the oil of gearbox is dropped all on the floor and then I went to service center and we refill the gearbox with oil and today there is no leak from gearbox but i think it little bit. This problem was happened twice, this year and 4 years ago. Everyone they said there is no leak from the gearbox. But there is a code recored which is P1747pcm and p1000pcm. Does the p1747 is electronic pressure control solonied transmission? Where this part allocated?

Regards,
Yehia
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
9/17/2013
Auto Mechanic: Timnoll, ASE Certified Technician replied 4 years ago
Timnoll
Timnoll, ASE Certified Technician

Yehia,

Can you tell an area where the fluid may have come from? One possibility is the dipstick tube seal. This would leak after sitting a while and the torque convertor drains back into the pan, but not leak after just sitting a short period of time.

Now there is no leak but I can't determine where is the lack. I think this happened when the engine is very hot temperature. Can you tell me what is this code p1747?
Code 1747 is EPC circuit code. The EPC is what controls the transmission pressure. This may or may not be related to the leak. The code can be the result of a wiring concern, solenoid failure or PCM. Most likely it would be the solenoid unless you have had some wiring damage. Since the leak is when it is hot, possibly you have a concern with the transmission cooling system causing the transmission to overheat. This can cause fluid to either push out the vent on top of the transmission or blow past the front seal. In either case there should be evidence of where it came from.
First I would like to to know where is the epc solenoid allocated? Please send me the diagram and where I can buy this part?

Second : the leak of fluid.
Which part in the transmission can make leak of fluid?

I need to know exactly which transmission you have, there were options this year of Navigator. Is the pan a square with a corner cut out (4R70W) or a longer rectangle with a square notch cut out of the rear (4R100)
I don't know now and also the number or the code is unclear. Can I take a picture of it and then send it to you?

You can post a picture in your response, that will be helpful.

How can I post the picture now? Since I am using iPad
I don't know of a way to post a picture with an iPad. I can give you the basics with both transmissions. The Solenoid is located inside the transmission pan on the 4R100 transmission. It is part of the solenoid body, which is an assembly of solenoids and valves. The 4R70W transmission uses a separate solenoid also located under the pan and bolted to the side of the valve body.
Can you please post a pictures of the two transmission from your side?

4r70W pan

graphic

4R100 Pan

graphic

https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&q=4r100+pan+transmission&spell=1&sa=X&ei=1-o4UpK3CZSM0wWU2YHwCQ&ved=0CDQQvwUoAA&dpr=2&biw=1024&bih=672#biv=i%7C3%3Bd%7CqcIz3M602WmMwM%3A Please open this link and look to the pan.This is same as transmission in my car.
Yes, that is the 4R100 pan. It has a solenoid assembly in the pan. I would be sure of the code and do a little diagnosis before replacing the solenoid body. It is expensive
The automatic of transmassion is very bad and once the transmission shift to another level it makes something like pushing very fast. Or it will broke something inside the transmassion.

I check with diagnosis computer and there is code P1747pcm, is this epc solenoid? Can you send me the diagram and the where I can import it ?

With the transmission setting the code it is entering a failsafe mode causing harsh shifts. Here is a diagram of the wiring for the solenoid.

graphic

Where I can buy this parts? I always buy from partstrain but they don't have it
There are actually several available on ebay. You could try your local auto parts store, they may be able to get one.
In Egypt we don't have this part in the local dealer, please send the picture of it and the link of abay, since I am afraid if I buy the wrong part
http://compare.ebay.com/like/251196403209?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Is this link for epc solenoid ?
It's a whole solenoid body on the 4r100. It includes all the solenoids.
the leak of fluid.Which part in the transmission can make leak of fluid? Since the all quanitiy of fluid were push out on the floor very fast. But today doesn't happen.Should I drive my car or leave it until change the parts? I remember that the leak is coming from the upper of transmission
It's either a converter seal or the vent on top. Either of these could be caused by overheating. I would be careful if driving until you know exactly what is causing the fluid loss. Repairing the code would be a logical first step, but there may be another issue.
Do you have another link to buy assembly solenoid ? Because the sellar can't send this part to Egypt.
I cannot verify a place that will ship to Egypt. If you call a Ford dealer they should be able to get it for you.
Timnoll
Timnoll, ASE Certified Technician
Type a follow-up message to re-engage your customers and find out if they'd like to ask a new question.

e.g. Hi Barbara, how is your dog doing? Is there anything else I can help with?

Tip: You can create reusable templates to save time.
Today I changed the solenoid assembly in the work shop but the problem is still exit. the automatic is very bad, there is a problem between shifting from second drive to the third drive. And also the transmission can't shift/change into the fourth drive automatically when I drive my car on the road.
It sounds like you may have some internal damage possibly. The diagnostics will most likely entail some special equipment and testing. It appears you have several things going on with the code, the leak and the shifting concerns. I would recommend a shop that has the proper equipment and training to help with this concern. A scan tool , pressure gauge, air pressure test adapter plate and such will be needed to properly tell what is going on with this transmission. If the shifting issue came about with the installation of the new solenoid body, then possibly it needs the codes cleared or there is something wrong with the new solenoid body.
We cleared all codes and Then we checked again with the diagnostic system and found the same code which is p1747 and pressure control solonied a short circuit.
Timnoll
Timnoll
Timnoll, ASE Certified Technician