Gary
Gary, Technician
Experience:  GM master tech for 15 years/ASE master tech for 20 years
19513769

2006 saturn ion redline manual trans was stuck in first pulled

Customer Question

2006 saturn ion redline manual trans was stuck in first pulled thought throwout bearing went this was fine thought trans was bad replaced with used trans same problem will not go in gear now. What are some possibilities? Could the pressure plate be bad. It will not even go in gear without clutch just sitting without it running.
Category: Car
Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you with this problem.

what happens when you try to shift the transmission when the engine is running ?

it goes into gear and no noise and it will not move at all? or will it grind and not go into a gear ?

will it shift into gears with the engine off ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

as I stated before it was not running it will not go in gear at all. When this first happen he was driving and it stuck in first. He thought it was the throwout bearing but that was good. He decided to replace the trans with a used one and it will not go in gear at all now. Could this be the pressure plate?

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok just to be sure I understand when the engine is off the transmission will not shift physically with the shifter into any gear ?

im sorry for the questions but I have to be sure

if that is the case if you disconnect the shift cables with the engine off can you shift the transmission by and into any gears ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes to the first question. The big shift lever moves freely and the bottom one just moves a little. I am not sure how much it should move.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

can you shift it by hand physically by hand into any gears ?

are you sure you didn't swap the shift cables ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no because we looked at the cables last night and if you switch them they are crossed and do not even go on the trans. as far as a gear that is what I am not sure of the top moves to 3 different positions and the bottom one (smaller one) only moves back and forth

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

ok but the top one can you physically feel it shift into a gear ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it moves to 3 different positions without the cables on

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
ok can you feel it by hand lock into any gears at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am not sure it seems very easy moving don,t really know if it is going in gear or not. The only thing I can say for sure is the top bigger shift arm moves to 3 different spots the bottom smaller shift arm only moves back and forth. Which one actually puts the car in gear?

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.

do you have the old transmission still there ?

if so does it feel exactly the same when trying to shift ?

if you shift it by hand into any of the 3 positions and you start the car and it will not move at all there is a problem with hat transmission that was put in the car

if the pressure plate or clutch was a problem the shifter would still shift through all the gears with the shifter and either just not move at all or grind gears

if you can not get the shifter to shift it into any gear at all and the cables are attached correctly that used transmission has a problem inside it

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it does not go in gear then what is the problem because this is the same thing it did before the trans was changed

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
very hard to tell but no matter what with the engine off it should shift through all the gears by hand
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry but I feel I don't know anymore than when I started. Thank you but I am not satisfied sorry.

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
you shifted it by hand started the engine and the wheels will move as its in gear ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yes it did

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
but when the cables are connected it will not shift into any gates at all ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

right

Expert:  Gary replied 4 years ago.
if you disconnect the 2 shift cables will the shifter shit in all gear ranges ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all 3 positions on the big shifter arm turn the wheels still not sure what the small arm does

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all 3 positions on the big shifter turn the tires not sure of smaller arms purpose

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all 3 positions on the big shifter turn the tires not sure of smaller arms purpose.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

all 3 positions on the big shifter turn the tires not sure of smaller arms purpose. Can I call you or you call me I am having trouble here on this end getting your responses. XXX-XXX-XXXX

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello are we still connected?