Mike S.
Mike S., Mechanic
Experience:  25+ years experience as an auto mechanic.
20625509

n/a n/a: I am interested in the state of automotive engineering

I am interested in the state of automotive engineering at this time and what non-ordinary-wear-and-tear issues, particularly safety issues, car owners are experiencing . . . other than those on recall and covered by warranty. Are you able to provide a listing of the 5 issues most likely to require car owners to have repairs done, at owner cost, on a vehicle. Make and model are unimportant, but my interest is in model year 2012-2013.

Are you talking about in general? Almost everything on a 2012-2013 vehicle should be covered under warranty and nothing would have to be replaced or repaired at the expense of the owner except those things that normally do wear and not covered under warranty or repairs needed due to misuse or aftermarket add-ons.

So first of all I would have to include what normally 90% of the vehicles out there on the road need every year, which is a front-end alignment, a head light alignment and wiper blades. I would also like to say an engine oil/filter change and tire rotation.

There are 5 things, although I don't really understand why you are asking this too well. I hope I answered you though.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No . . .I am doing a study of automotive engineering, particularly as to safety issues. For example, a 14-year old girl got trapped in a BMW 328 this past week and died of heat exposure because the locking system malfunctioned. BMW amy or may not have fixed the locks under warranty . . .but that won't help her now. So I am asking you to identify issues out there which, assuming the warranty does not apply (because the car is over the mileage covered), will cost the consumer to remedy. To answer my question you would have to tell me make, model and issue. It doesn't have to be limited to safety, but I am particularly concerned with safety issues.

I still don't understand what you want. You want me to pick at random a year,make and model?
Actually I believe it would all unless covered under a recall if the warantee expired.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think you have it . . .all. I have no idea where the issues are and that is why I am asking you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Are you finished with your answer. I wrote you at 11:13 Am: "I think you have it . . .all. I have no idea where the issues are and that is why I am asking you." But you have not further answered. Please advise.

I thought I was done when you said, "I think you have it . . .all." In response to my "Actually I believe it would all"

Are you talking about safety issues, car owners are experiencing in general or with a specific year, make and model? If in general, I believe I already answered that. If a specific year, make and model, I would need to know which.

I am still trying to fully understand your question. Perhaps if you told me why you are asking such a question, I would better understand. Is this for some school project?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
If you read my earlier questions to you again you will see that I am asking for specific problems (I gave you the example of door latches in a BMW 328i). I want you to identify the year, make, model and problem, as you are the expert.
Specific problems on what vehicles? I don't understand what you are asking. Am I just supposed to pick out a vehicle out of thin air? I don't know what you are asking. Be more specific. You gave one example. Is that what you want me to do, give you one example? You want me to identify the year, make, model and problem of what?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am interested in the state of automotive engineering at this time and what non-ordinary-wear-and-tear issues, particularly safety issues, car owners are experiencing . . . other than those on recall and covered by warranty. Are you able to provide a listing of the 5 issues most likely to require car owners to have repairs done, at owner cost, on a vehicle. I can't tell you the problem, make, model and year . . .that is what I want you to do. It's not out of thin air, but out of your expertise that you ail provide the information. If you do not know of any problems in the automotive world, just tell me. but if you do, I'd like you to tell me problem, make, model and year. Then I I will know more about the state of automotive engineering, because my expert informed me. This is why I have an unlimited subscription to Just Answer, i.e. to be able to ask questions and get answers, which I do once every couple months or so.

Are you talking about things like when Firestone tires on vehicles were exploding years ago, when gas tanks on Ford Pintos would explode during a 5 mph bumper to bumper collision, odd things like that or just the state of the automotive engineering field in general? I haven't heard lately of anything like the Firestone Tires or Pinto gas tanks. I remember problems using Dex-Cool in engines was causing leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes . . . odd things like that. Are you aware of any issues these days? Or is it your judgment that,as far as you know, there are no specific issues out there?

No specific issues out there. I see you said you researched the NHSTA website. In case you didn't know, they did change the homepage to http://www.safercar.gov/

You might also want to consider reading what Ralph Nader has or had to say about automotive safety.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralph_Nader#Automobile_safety_activism

http://www.autosafety.org/

I found this website that Ralph Nader still has.

The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) was founded in 1970 by Consumers Union and Ralph Nader as a Washington, D.C.-based lobbying group focused on the United States automotive industry.

Lot's of stuff right here.