Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

toyota previa: Can I use a 2wd trany as replacement for awd

Can I use a 2wd...
Can I use a 2wd trany as replacement for awd trany in previa by only singing the output diferential?
THanks
AVishay
9/15/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Yes, you could use a two wheel drive transmission as a replacement for all wheel drive. Obviously you would be leaving out the transfer case and the front driveshaft, the one other thing you'd need to replace along with the transmission would be the rear driveshaft. The rear shaft on the two wheel drive transmission would be longer and the original one from an all wheel drive wouldn't work.

actually its kind of he other way around, i want to keep the vehicle as an awd but i have a 2wd transmission as replacement and my question is if i remove the fault awd tranny and replace it with the 2wd that i have- off course after transferring the tranny tail -so the 2wd will now have the awd diferential- is the tranny itself is the same or the awd has different outputs and will not fit the 4wd differential?

Yes, if you wanted to disassemble both transmissions to install the all wheel drive case and output shaft on the two wheel drive transmission that would work.

so just to make it very clear than the awd and 2wd transmissions without the output case are identical? same spline on the output shaft no special reinforcements for the awd? simple same gear boxes where the only different is the output case that in the 2wd transfer the torque to the rear differential while in the 4wd the output case has another differential to divert the torque also to the front axle, and the awd output diferential will bolt in with no problem instead of the simple straight output case of the 2wd correct?

my apologize for this but I am from israel and there are no awd previa here i have the one and only awd previa in the country so no mechanic can give me a clear answer and they are kind of afraid to even touch it...

The output shafts are going to be different between all wheel drive and two wheel drive. Both transmissions are going to need to be disassembled to swap at least the case and the output shafts between the two.

thanks....is that a p-40 you use as your icon?...

Yes, it sure is! I'm a huge warbird fan and the P-40 is one of my favorites.

me too!:) are you fly any WB simulator?....i am more a spit fan...no offence right?

No, no offense at all!

I've flown simulators quite a bit but haven't had the time for a while now. The latest one I was flying was War Thunder. It's a fairly new game and is a free download, if you haven't seen it.

i fly now il 2 but flown war birds aces high and ww2 online, we are a squad and fly for many years together, never heard of war thunder, just looked it up and understand it is also a multiplay online sim. are you from GB or US?

I'm in the US.

I've flown quite a bit on IL2 but haven't really for the last couple years because it was causing some issues on my Windows 7 computer. My first simulator was Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 2, I couldn't begin to imagine how many hours I flew that one.

well i don't want to keep you busy on this channel any longer

was nice to chat with you and if you like to keep on chatting WB stuff you can emai me [email protected]

who knows maybe we will meat in the virtual air one day..:)

thanks

Avishay

You're welcome and good luck with your van! Always great to meet another warbird fan!
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

hello R U still there?

I'm here now.

thanks for getting back on me

i have been at the mechanic today and it turned out that unfortunately in some aspect i kind of know more than him...he has the diagnostic computer but don't really like/know how to use it...

the problem i have is that the O/D off is flashing and tranny will start at 2nd or even 3rd gear, from what i red it is likely to be something inside the gear box like bad solenoid and not some outside electric/ electronic issue and if so the simple thing will be to replace the whole tranny, since i already has one ready. question is based on your experience would you command it or you would further investigate and try to diagnose?

I'd try and repair it if possible.

Do you know what fault codes are setting?

the read at the main computer says 51 also by blinking the check engine but i think it is an old code that was there way before and isn't the tranny trouble code comes from the O/D of ?

the thing is that in Israel i don't really trust anybody to repair this so i thought ill try replacing the whole thing unless it is most likely some sensor or wiring outside the gear.

how can i be sure?

51 looks like it's an a/c related code.

Did they check for codes using a scan tool? There should have been a trans related code if the light is flashing and it's starting in second or third. This is telling us that the problem is electrical.

what is a/c ? air condition??

when he connected the computer i noticed that parallel to the check engine blinking the oil level blinked too.

when you say electrical problem do you refer also to solenoid fault?

cause maybe i can only change the solenoid from the other tranny- could be simpler no?

Yes, a/c is air conditioning.

A transmission electrical problem could be solenoids, wiring, or speed sensors in your case. There are two solenoids that could be causing the problem and there are also two speed sensors. I'd try swapping these before going through the trouble of replacing the whole transmission.

Ok, the air condition works fine if it is a sigh for anything,

by saying speed sensor it is a sensor inside the gear right? not the accelerator sensor under the gas pedal...

i.e. all the units that you refer too are inside the tranny with relatively easy access through the oil cover below?

The speed sensors are on the left side of the transmission case.

The solenoids are mounted to the valve body which is above the pan.

thanks a lot i will look it up in the manual book- hope my wife didn't threw it away...-

good night for today- it is 20 past 2am here...

You're welcome!

It's 7:20 PM here.

Hello again

i guess it is early morning at your end and anyways i will be seeing your replay only tomorrow...

i did the diagnostic according to the book i.e. jumped the E1 and TE1 and counted the blinks of the O/D OFF it turn out that the error code is 62 which means fault solenoid No.2 (or bad wire etc...)

it amazes me that that certified Toyota dealership garage immediately recommended me to replace the whole tranny... nobody there even thought of doing the very basic simple procedure.

anyways my question is : according to your experience, would i rather replace the whole thranny with the one i already have given the extra work of switching the tail between the two trannys- since the one that i have is configured as 2WD currently- or to open the tranny that i have outside and replace the bad solenoid only.

i assume that replacing only the solenoid is simpler but since i never did it i want to be sure.

also since the vehicle is running after all... would you recommend on ordering a new solenoid or using one of the solenoid from my other tranny should work- that's off course depend on how complicated it is to replace solenoid i.e. if it is complicated than i rather wait for new one and if not i will take my chances with the solenoid i have and if worth come to worth i will than replace it again. in other words what are the odds that the used solenoid will last?

thanks

Avishay

I would recommend replacing the solenoid rather than going through the trouble of replacing the transmission.

Personally I would order a new solenoid and install it rather than taking the used one out of the other transmission. It's used and won't last as long as a new one for sure, and there's always the possibility that it could even be bad.

thanks...-don't really know you name:)-...

i will order them from Ebay since i suppose to be in the US Mid October i will collect them than and hope the van will survive till than,

any other parts you recommend me to order and replace as i am opening the tranny? like seals, bearing or "don't try to fix what ain't broken..." ?

Avishay

Hello again

i am a bit puzzled now, when i am searching for solenoids for the previa i see that tere are 2wd solenoid and awd solenoid, arnt they suppose the same? - since as you explained me on the beginning of this thread the sranny itself is the same, is it just a commercial issue and can be ignored or it is real?

thanks

Avishay

If you're seeing a difference in the solenoids then order the one for all wheel drive.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician