Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

95 Fleetwood Bounder with 454 Engine and Chevy P30 Chassis.

Customer Question
95 Fleetwood Bounder with 454...

95 Fleetwood Bounder with 454 Engine and Chevy P30 Chassis. I am having a problem getting the AC belt to stay on. The AC belt was missing when I bought the motor home. However there was a spare 60" belt sitting in the motorhome so I assumed it was the correct one for the AC compressor/power steering/water pump/crank route. I got a new one from NAPA the NBH 257603 and installed it on the first groove of the AC compressor, the second groove of the power steering and the only groove on the water pump and the second groove on the crank. The AC worked but seemed weak. However when the compressor would kick on I would hear a squeak from the belt. I tightened it, but in short order it was worn out and I cut it off before it could fly off and do any damage. I have been looking online for the proper belts for this MH and also the proper routing of the belts. Just looking at it with my eye, it seems that the pulley grooves between the AC compressor and the power steering pump don't line up properly if you try to run the AC compressor inner groove with the power steering pump second groove. However the outer groove on the AC compressor and the outer groove on the power steering pump seem to line up. If you can help me figure this out and get my AC belt functioning properly I would very grateful.

Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
9/7/2013
Auto Mechanic: Rachel-Mod, Moderator replied 4 years ago
Rachel-Mod
Rachel-Mod, Moderator

I'm Rachel, and I’m a moderator for this topic.
 We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit. 

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,
Rachel
Rachel, yes I am still looking for help on this topic.

Ken
Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Rachel
Auto Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 4 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,

I just need to confirm that this is the factory ac to your knowledge and not an add on unit.

As far as I know. It looks like it has been on there for a long time. It has a Sanden compressor if that helps you.
I was doing some more checking this weekend. I used a straight edge to go from the pulleys on the power steering/power brake booster pump to the AC compressor pulleys. Every diagram I have seen shows using the track one on the power steering pump (closest to engine) for the 41" belt that goes just to the crank, and then track two on the PS pump to go around the crank, water pump pulley, and then AC compressor and the belt is 60". However when I run a straight edge between the second track on the PS pump and the AC compressor it does not line up with either track. If I run the straight edge from the 2nd track on the PS pump to the water pump v-belt pulley it lines up fine. When I run the straight edge from the third (outermost pulley) of the PS pump it lines up with the outer most pulley on the AC pump but nothing else. So What I am thinking about doing is running two 41" belts from the crank to the PS pump right next to each other. Then run a short belt from the PS pump outer pulley up to the outer pulley on the AC compressor. Since the PS pump is so critical because it not only does the power steering but also the brake booster, I would not do this without having two belts on the ps pump to drive it. Do you have any thoughts on this?

Ok, give me about an hour to verify this as I have a 94 with same set up sitting in storage. I need to run out and check it and the measurements and belt routing
OK, I would really appreciate it.
HI,

Ok, mine is set up according to the diagrams like you have seen.

This means that either the compressor or the compressor clutch and pulley on yours has been replaced at some point and either the replacement compressor has a different shaft length or the clutch and pulley put on are different than factory original.

all this means is that you cannot go by the factory diagrams. The alternative you have come up will work as it will rotate the compressor at same rpms as if it were running off the crank. There wont be any loss for either the p/s steering pump or the ac compressor
One last question if I may, can you get me the part number off of the AC compressor that is on your unit and the brand name? I am just wondering if I could replace the compressor with the proper one if that would fix the problem as well. I am an AC tech so replacing the compressor is not a big deal to replace. The one I have has a Sanden unit on it.

no problem. I will go back to my storage unit and post the part number on here in about an hour
HI,

It is a Sanden SD709
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Eric, I installed the two belts between the crank and the power steering pump in tandem. Those were both 41" belts I got from Napa. I found a belt in the MH that was probably 38" long Dayco. I had seen it before but I thought it was a former power steering belt. I put that between the AC compressor and the pump and it seems to work now. I appreciate your help and I am going to click accept. I just wanted to share this with you for future reference.

glad you got it and sounds like somewhere down the line either the compressor or compressor pulley was changed, which explains why there was a belt on hand that fit it.

Thanks for the update and the accept. And have a safe rest of 2013!

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager