sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Volvo V50 2.4I: I have a volvo v50 2007 model with a D5 2.4

I have a volvo v50 2007 model with a D5 2.4 deizal engine.The a/c has been pressurised & fully tested for leaks without finding any problems.
However, after some 7-10 days the a/con failes to work correctly.
I have recently noticed that a ticking sound is coming from the compressor area which occurs at every 5-10 second intervals. Think it may be the clutch not operating correctly!
What are your thoughts on this & can you give me any advice on what I need to do bearing in mind the possible high costs involved if a replacement or new compressor would be required.
Thanks,
Ted.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like the a/c system was found to be discharged, it was charged up and the a/c worked for 7-10 and has stopped again? If that's the case then it's very likely you have a leak. A small leak can leak enough refrigerant lout in that time frame but may not be large enough to be able to immediately see the leak at the shop when charged. The most common way to check for leaks now is by injecting dye into the system and when the refrigerant leaks out it will leave traces of dye which can be seen with a UV light.

The clicking noise you are hearing is likely the compressor clutch turning on and off. As the charge lessens then the compressor will cycle off and on more due to low system pressures.

What I would recommend now is checking the charge level again and I believe it will be found to be low.