Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My downhill brake assist, traction control and engine lights

keep coming on ramdomly and...
My downhill brake assist, traction control and engine lights keep coming on ramdomly and then go away. Also, for the 3rd time, my car, which has a push button start.....would not start. The key light would come on and it would go through the stages of on, assy and full lights and then off, but the car wouldn't start. When I put EXCESSIVE pressure on the brake pedal then it would finally engage. .........
9/5/2013
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician

FixItMan : Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Can you tell me if these things happen only when the vehicle is started for the first time of the day?
Customer:

No ...they do not. I was running errands the other day and was in and out of several stores....on my last stop, all of a sudden the key light came on and the car would not start when I pushed the button.

Customer:

After several attempts I pushed really hard on the brake pedal and the vehicle started. The traction control and brake assist lights seem to come on only on the intitial start of the day....if and when they occur. Most times they are fine and don't come on. The engine light is completely random...either after sitting and starting or while driving. It almost acts like it lost power (battery) and is resetting itself....weird.

FixItMan :

Thank you for the response. These symptoms are common when the battery is failing or when there is a problem with the fuse panel. I would start by having the battery load tested. Most auto parts stores will do this for you for free. Is the vehicle still under warranty??

Customer:

The 60000 mile part just expired.......I still have the 100000 mile part for the emissions and the powertrain.....

FixItMan :

Then start with the battery test and let me know what they find.

Customer:

Went to AutoZone and the battery checked out at 100% charged....the alternator was reading at the low end...just above functional....13amps. Overall....everything seemed to be ok....

FixItMan :

When these lights come on does the check engine light stay on until you restart the vehicle?

Customer:

The "lights' seem to be independent of each other. There is no sequence or rhyme nor reason as to to when they come on. At the moment none are on and everything seems fine. 2 days from now I may not be able to start the vehicle or the check engine light may be on....or off...or the "other lights" may come on. It is all very random. The worst one is when the "key" light comes on and I can't start the vehicle....perplexed and confusing.

FixItMan :

Intermittent problems like this can be very hard to diagnose. If I were looking at the vehicle right now I would be checking the start button to see if there is a voltage drop there. If there is then the vehicle will act like this. If not then a test needs to be done to verify the voltage at the fuse box. Is this something you plan on fixing yourself?

Customer:

Well ...if it had been something fairly straightforward and simple...yes. By the sounds of it...this hardly seems simple. I probably have no choice but to take it in to the dealer.....

FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
FixItMan
FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician