Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

rover disco: 98 land rover overheats in high temps humidity

Customer Question
98 land rover overheats in...
98 land rover overheats in high temps humidity while moving .sitting still doesnt run hot?What would cause this?My mechanic say doesnt make sense, Still Checking.Used engine installed 4/13,year waranty. Is this a cooling system issue? occurs whether ac in use or not.Is this an engine issue?Help
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
8/26/2013
Auto Mechanic: Matt, Engineer replied 4 years ago
Matt, Engineer
Hello

I'd 1st confirm with a separate thermal probe that the engine really is running hot as the gauge senders are prone to giving issues

if its genuinely hot then I'd then check that the water pump impeller / turbine isn't spinning on its shaft. You should be able to achieve this by removing the bottom hose from the engine and use a screwdriver or similar to feel for the water pump impeller blades, whilst your assistant turns the engine over by hand.
If you can stop the impeller with slight pressure from the screwdriver the pump needs replacing.

Also its possible the belt is slipping so its worth replacing its especially if the rubber ribs are cracked or it looks shiny on flat side of the belt - while its off check that the tensioner and other pulleys all spin freely the exception to this is the AC pump ( if fitted)

I'd also suggest ensuring that you've got all the air out of the system as this sort of episode can leave pockets of air trapped and prevent the coolant from circulating properly.

So check that the small hoses that run from the top of the engine and radiator that run back to the header / expansion tank are free flowing and not blocked

If these are OK then remove the tank pressure cap and run the engine from cold with the heater set to full hot

As the engine starts to warm, squeeze the large hoses running to the radiator to help displace any air - all the time keeping an eye on the level in the header tank, making sure it doesn't drop below the minimum and open any bleed screws built into the top cooling hoses - closing them off as soon as they start to gush water

Once the engine is up to temperature the tank should be quite full. Switch the engine off and leave it to cool

Then top up to the mark once its all cold and replace the cap
Matt, Engineer