Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Ihave a 2007 Volkswagen bug.The engine light stays on. The

Ihave a 2007 Volkswagen bug.The engine light stays on. The mechanic says it is because the emissions lines may be clogged, and the head may have to be pulled and the small chanels should be cleaned.Does this sound reasonable?Is there a cleaner I could put into the gas tank that might clean these lines? Thank you
HI,

by chance did he provide you with the fault code number he retreived when he hooked his scan tool up to your vehicle?

Any symptoms with the check engine light being on such as hesitation, loss of power, poor gas mileage, erratic idle?

Ok, it would be helpful to know the code, but without it I can tell you that the only channels you access by removing the cylinder head are the oil passages and the the coolant passages, so removing the head would do ZERO for emissions or engine vacuum hoses that are clogged.

Now there are ports in the intake manifold that you can clean carbon from when removing the intake manifold, which will help allowing circulation of air and vapor in the various vacuum hoses.

There is an alternative to this though. That is doing a direct induction cleaning thru the vacuum line into the intake and runs about $120 - it cleans the intake manifold, the engine valves, egr valve and the fuel injectors.

you can also do this at home

You will need a can of SeaFoam cleaner, a funnel and a helper.

Disconnect the large vacuum hose at the brake booster(this goes directly to intake manifold). Have helper crank engine and every few seconds, goose the gas pedal to keep engine from stalling. Stick funnel in end of disconnect vacuum hose and slowly pour contents of Seafoam into funnel.( It will smoke white out the exhaust when doing this, which is normal for this procedure.)

Once done, reconnect vacuum hose and drive for about 5 miles at hwy speeds to finish cleaning out carbon.

the above will clean carbon from valves, egr valve, intake manifold and injectors.

Cost you about $10 total and will be almost identical in results to the direct induction cleaning from a shop that charges $120-150

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have already rated my answer, then Thanks alot. If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?