Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Landrover LR2: My 2008 LR2 SE steering wheel locked while driving.

My 2008 LR2 SE steering wheel locked while driving. Smoke came from the back & then locked.
Just had the whole part replaced a week ago. I was told it was the control module but had to replace everything because they do not sell it separately. How ciuld this happen again if it was all replaced. Can it be the steering fluid? I left the mechanic the correct brand.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Did this smoke come from under the hood on this vehicle or inside the vehicle in the steering column area or dash area?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I was driving on the highway fast so I would figure the steering column.

Was anything replaced behind the dash or steering column previously for this issue and then this occurred or were the components that were replaced located under the hood?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The steering module was replaced

O.k.,if this is the same component that has failed/smoked here and failed there is a short in the steering control module system/components that needs located to correct the fault.It sounds like the first time they had repaired this they had replaced the affected component(s) and didn't locate the actual source of the fault.

I would have them re check to see if they can locate a short in the wiring to the steering module or a short with one of its components and once the short is located then it can be repaired from there to correct the short and the module replaced again.I would see if they will do this at a discounted price or cover the costs completely since this wasn't repaired correctly the first time.

Let me know if you need anything else,thanks Pete
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, they r doing that now at no charge.

Thats great to hear,most likely they will find a short in the system that is causing all of this and then repair it and replace the affected components.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete