Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

I want to wax my car by hand. How do I remove the old wax?

I am looking to remove...

I am looking to remove the old wax from my car and polish and wax it by hand. Any recommendations as to what works the best?

8/14/2013
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician

I highly recommend using the McGuire's wax remover if you can get it from your auto parts store. Their products are as close to being professional quality but still available at the consumer level. If you cannot get the McGuire's products, then Turtle Wax would be your next choice. It works very well also.

Then apply the new polish, and you should have a nice finish. Just be sure to follow the directions on the containers.

Do I polish and then wax or wax first and then polish?

Polish first, then apply the wax to protect the paint.

Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician
Chris
Chris
Chris, Auto Service Technician