Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

s10 chevy: 2000 chevy s10. when we try to start the truck the

2000 chevy s10. when we try to start the truck the starter just clicks. the dash lights come on with the key in the on position. we have cleaned all the connections and grounds. the starter is new and after we put the new starter in its doing the same thing as the old one. we have had the battery load tested twice and its good. the battery was boufht in feb of this year. we even tried jumping the battery from another car. still the same results. we also tested for power to the starter. big post 12 volts. small post 12 volts with the key in the start position. we even tested the small post, volts with the clutch peddle out and the key in the start position. the post had no power to it.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem solved. Is it a single loud click or multiple clicks? Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it just clicks once for every time you turn the key to the start position.

This should be pretty easy to figure out but we need a voltmeter. Do you have one to do some testing with? What size engine? Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

we do have a voltmeter. The engine is the 2.2l and its a 5 speed.

At the large wire going to starter monitor battery voltage while trying to start. Let me know what voltage drops to. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The volts are 11 at the starter when starting. But I also just tested the battery and its reading 11 volts. I'm sure with all the working on things over the last two days the battery isn't fully charged.

At the starter check the voltage on small wire and at large wire while trying to start and while they are connected to starter. Let me know what both wires on starter are showing while trying to start, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We tested that before I decided to get on here. On the small wire it was jumping from 8 to 10 volts. The large wire was reading 11 volts.

Use a separate wire and jump wire from large terminal where wire large wire connects to small terminal where small wire connects. This should force the starter to turn, let me know if it does. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. Give me 10 min. need to get some wire.

Sounds good, I'm pretty sure it is going to force engine turn over. If that is the case it means there is a wiring/connection problem on small wire so then I'll walk you through more testing to pinpoint problem. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

do we need to be turning the key to the start position at the same time?

No, just jumping the wire from the large post to the small post will allow engine to turn over if engine is not seized and large wire has good connection. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK we jumped the wire. All it did was click like it was when we were turning the key. The engine is fine. My son came home and turned the engine off ran inside got something and came right back out to leave and that's when the issue started.

Try to manually turn the engine with a breaker bar on the crank. Turn it a couple revolutions and let me know it turns. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok.

You can also use a voltmeter to check for good case ground on starter by putting black lead on case and red lead on large cable while trying to start, if voltage drops below 11v while trying to start there is a ground problem. If that is good this can only mean engine is not turning or new starter is bad. Let me know how it goes, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the voltage dropped to 3 volts. what ground would be causing the issue? we have cleaned all the surfaces that the starter comes into contact with the engine.

Ok, that is good news since we are getting things figured out. Clean the ground that goes from battery to frame. Check ground 102, 106, 108, and 107. If all are good you might just want to run a new ground from battery to starter. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, here are pictures of grounds. Thanks.

-

http://db.tt/dataZ58X

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If this doesn't take care of the issue what next?

It definitely should, with the voltmeter we proved there is a ground problem. Let me know how it turns out or if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Also the ground 107 isn't there. no bolt or wire. the surface where the bolt and ground wire would go look like there has never been anything there.

It may have been a optional ground but it was shown on wire diagram so I wanted to make sure you checked it. If cleaning the other grounds does not help then I would just run a new wire from battery ground to starter case. make sure the wire is the same size as large wire that goes to positive terminal of starter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok. now the starter is clicking continuesley when we try to start it. we have tried jumping it with another car. still the same thing.

Did you end up running a new ground between battery and starter?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. if we have to do that it will have to be tomorrow. its dark and the misquetos are killng us.

No problem, I think running the new wire is going to be required assuming testing is being done right. Let me know how it goes or if you run into more questions. Thanks again and have a good night.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok ill let you know.

Sounds like a plan, have a good night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

you to!

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX need to be the last to reply or it shows someone waiting. Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

well after not being able to work on the truck for a whole day because of rain we are back on it. Just wanted to check. We have to hook a new ground wire to the neg side of the battery and the other end of the wire needs to be hooked to the body of the starter to work. do I have that right?

That is correct, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just wanted to let you know the ground wire worked and the truck runs great! Thank you for all your help!

Good to hear all is up and working again. Thanks for update and have a great day.