Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

scion tc: Hello ! I have a 2007 Scion Tc. And it crashed.

Hello ! I have...
Hello ! I have a 2007 Scion Tc. And it crashed. The Airbag was deployed.
1) Does my airbag control module need to be reset ?
2) Could I reset the error code stored in the module using one of the OBD2, ABS, ARS scanner tool /
Please help. Thank you.
8/12/2013
mas12076
mas12076, ASE Certified Technician

mas12076 :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to assist you today and please remember to rate my answers with a good rating .Unfortunately the air bag module needs to br replaced after deployment of any of the air bags or seatbelt pretensioners .The module uses a sort of fuse inside that isn't serviceable by techs .Once you replace the module all codes are self clearing if there aren't any other issues with the system

Customer:

Replacing is an expensive option. What about the people from myairbags.com claiming that they could reset the airbag module ? In your opinion, what actually that they do for this resetting service ? Also, my brother had an S2000 Honda that had an airbag deployed. The airbag light turned on. I sent the module to the myairbags people for resetting. After receiving back the module, I installed this one back per their instruction. And it worked. The airbag light no longer on. In your opinion, what it is actually in this S2000 case. Please help. Thank you.

Customer:

Obviously, replacing the deployed airbags had been done.

mas12076 :

Repairing the modules is actually illegal in the states and I'm not sure of the credibility of myairbags.com so I really couldn't suggest to repair it .In my experience I have however replaced the modules with used ones from wrecker yards but never a repaired one .You don't want to run the risk of getting into an accident and not have your airbags deploy so if your looking for economy you can try LKQ.com which will deliver to you .Hope this helped .

Customer:

What it is that is not the hardware being repaired. Instead, it is the software of the module being reprogrammed, erasing the crashed data. Think about your computer having a virus. And you have to run an antivirus program to remove it off. This is how I understand their service.

Customer:

By the way, I have a 1996 Toyota Tacoma, and a strange rattling problem. The car always rattles as soon as I take my foot off the gas pedal, be it while deceleration or while at a stop light. As soon as my foot press on the gas pedal, and as long as it is so, there has never heard of the rattle. Also, the rattle noise is inversely proportional to the age of the engine oil (louder with new oil, softer when the oil is 2 weeks old). I have searched and sought opinions many times, and over and over again, but none seems able to escaped the loop of this rattling problem.

Customer:

If valve clearance, then why not even harder at higher speed.

Customer:

If hot spot making knocks, then why not harder at higher speed. What would you think ? This rattling noise has been annoying me for at least 5 years. Otherwise, the truck runs like a champ, continuously 200 miles,with cold ac, at 70 mph is a norm for it. Thank you.

mas12076
mas12076, ASE Certified Technician
Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician
The expert you have been working with is currently offline. The airbag module is a one time use unit. It should never be re used. It has internal inertia switches that are meant for 1 use only.
Boxer54
Boxer54, ASE Certified Technician

Hello boxer! I am resting the air bags issue. Could you give me some insight into the rattling noise from my 96 Toyota Tacoma. I definitely want to fix the problem, straight to the heart of it. Different mechanics have different opinions. And so, I am afraid to spend the money and the problem is still there. Please help. Thank you.

Josie-Mod
Hi, I’m Josie a moderator for this topic. It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from an other one of our professionals?

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Pet to Legal.

Thank you,

Josie~Moderator
Mike, Mechanic
Hello - and Welcome..

My name is MIKE...

You have essentially listed / opened up a new question above - new subject I can help you with this -

Noises per se- are very difficult for us on line to figure - as obviously we cant hear them.. the best advice therefore that I can give , is to have a mech go on a drive with you - or listen to it running - and with his years of experience - just by listening...he should be able to determine what the cause is...

I know you mention different ones this far have given different opinions - I would suggest to seek out a real good mech - perhaps one with lots of experience and try them as above..

Further though - from here at least - such a noise , on that age of vehicle , would make me think exhaust rattles - or the heat shields above it - between it and the car body underside.. or mounts.. or , and if its definately in the exhaust area ( as it often is ).. you can have the rattle coming from the inside of the exhaust - so have the silencer boxes and the catalytic converter checked for loose baffles / monolith internally.

If its coming from the engine - have it checked to see if its a mechanical rattle - from a loose fitted mechanical part etc - or even an internal combustion issue known as "pinking"... this is brought on when the vehicle is driven and under load - its caused by pre detonation in the cylinders..

Other than that you can have internal engine rattles - but again, its extremely difficult on line - so hopefully the suggestions above will help - at least checking through as above you should find the cause - Let me know how you get on -

Let me know if you need anything more on this at all -

Meantime -- Please click on the OK rating to Excellent ratings service for me now, Thank you for that... and you can get back to me anytime if you need / wish..

Best Rgds, MIKE.

Please note, you are rating the content of my "answer" - my help to you - not the "system" which can experience delays etc which are not under my personal control -or delays caused by "time -off" which we all have on occasion - Thank you.

Mike, Mechanic
Mike, Mechanic