Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

trans only works in 4x4 high or low, take out of 4x4 and will

Customer Question
not go i nto drive...
trans only works in 4x4 high or low, take out of 4x4 and will not go i nto drive or reverse 1996 land rover discovery
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
8/2/2013
Auto Mechanic: Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic replied 4 years ago
Tim's Auto Repair

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

will it hold in 4hi in park
?

tims auto repair :

in 4hi....does the transmission work correctly

tims auto repair :

?

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

what is the answer on how to repair 1996 land rover trans problem?

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

yes trans works in 4 h and 4 low put in nutral and take out of 4x4 and nothing drive or reverse

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

does it hold the truck in park in 2hi?

tims auto repair :

willit hold to where the truck wont move?

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

truck moves and drives put in nutral to take it out of 4x4 to disengage 4x4 and nothing works no drive or reverse

tims auto repair :

yes i understand that

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

i would like to know..if it holds in park

tims auto repair :

in 2hi

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

don't understand?

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

if you put it in 2hi

tims auto repair :

and put it in park

tims auto repair :

can you roll the vehicle?

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

let me test this will take a few mins

tims auto repair :

that will be fine

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

truck does not roll check engine light is on and under that is diagram of all 4 wheels light up

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

so,,it does hold in park,,but,,wont move?

tims auto repair :

it wont go into gear?

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

yes it goes in to all gears and drives just fine put in nutral to take out of 4x4 h or low and trans will not engage to drive in 2 wheel drive

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

this sounds as if your transfer case is bad

tims auto repair :

not the transmission

tims auto repair :

the transmission itself is fine

tims auto repair :

sense it does work in 4wd

tims auto repair :

your problem is in the transfer case

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

yes high or low drives fine

tims auto repair :

ok

tims auto repair :

the case is bad

tims auto repair :

51_lr97discv_41-009b.png
Full Size Image

ADAPTOR PLATE FOR REMOVING TRANSFER GEARBOX
The transfer gearbox is removed from underneath the vehicle. Using transmission hoist with an adaptor plate for securing the transfer gearbox to the hoist. The adaptor can be manufactured locally to the drawing above.

45_lr97discv_41-001a.png
Full Size Image
LT 230T

WARNING: When using a transmission hoist it is essential to follow the hoist manufacturer's instructions.

REMOVAL
1. Site vehicle on a ramp [hoist].
2. Disconnect battery negative lead.
3. Remove fan cowl from radiator.
4. Remove transfer gear lever knob and gaiter.
5. Raise vehicle on ramp [hoist].

46_lr97discv_41-010a.png
Full Size Image

6. Drain oil and install plug, tighten to 30 Nm.
7. Detach heat shield at front exhaust pipe to manifold.
8. Disconnect electrical connector to oxygen sensors.

40_lr97discv_41-011a.png
Full Size Image

9. Remove catalytic converter assembly.
10. Remove chassis crossmember from under gearbox.
11. Remove heat shield from speedometer cable at transfer gearbox.
12. Remove clamp and disconnect speedometer cable from transfer gearbox.
- Tie cable to one side.
13. Mark for reassembly then disconnect propeller shaft to output flange, tie to one side.
14. Repeat on front propeller shaft to output flange.
15. Remove bolts retaining silencer front and rear securing brackets and tie silencer to one side.
16. Place four 30mm long spacers between top of hoist and adaptor plate, at securing points, and secure adaptor plate to hoist.
17. Remove four central bolts from transfer gearbox bottom cover, move hoist into position and secure adaptor plate to transfer gearbox.
- Adjust hoist to take weight of transfer gearbox.
19. Remove tie bar, transfer gearbox to main gearbox.
20. Remove nuts and bolts securing right transfer gearbox mounting bracket to chassis.
21. Repeat for left mounting bracket.
- Removal of these fixings will also free speedometer transducer bracket.
22. Remove right side mounting bracket to flexible mounting rubber.
23. Lower hoist until rear brake drum clears passenger footwell.
- Check engine does not crush any components while lowering.
24. Loosen park brake adjustment nut.
25. Remove park brake drum.
26. Remove park brake assembly complete from rear output flange.
27. Disconnect leads from transfer gearbox temperature sensor and differential lock warning light switch.
28. Remove banjo bolt from breather pipe, retrieve sealing washers and lay pipe aside.
29. Remove split [cotter] pin and washers securing differential lock to connecting rod and disconnect rod from lever.
30. Select low range transfer gearbox position.
31. Remove high/low rod lower lock nut and remove rod from yoke.
32. Position hoist jack channel under bell housing.
33. Using wooden block support the main gearbox and bell housing.
34. Remove upper and lower bolts securing transfer gearbox to main gearbox.
35. Install guide studs 1 8G 1425 to main gearbox and move transfer gearbox rearwards to detach.

INSTALLATION
36. Select "P" in main gearbox, with low range and differential lock selected in transfer gearbox.
37. Secure transfer gearbox to adaptor plate on lifting hoist.
38. Ensure joint faces of transfer and main gearboxes are clean and guide studs 1 8G 1425 are installed.
39. Raise hoist until transfer gearbox can be located over guide studs to main gearbox.
- At the same time locate high/low lower link to yoke.
40. Remove guide studs and secure transfer gearbox to main gearbox.
41. Complete installation by reversing removal procedure, noting the following important points.
42. After removal of adaptor plate from transfer gearbox, clean threads of four bottom cover bolts, coat threads with Loctite 290 and install together with spring washers.
- Tighten to 25 Nm.
43. Add correct grade of oil to transfer gearbox to oil level plug hole.
- Fill with up to 2.67 liters (5.70 US pints) of Dexron IID ATF.
44. Check main gearbox oil level.
45. Check operation of parking brake and adjust as necessary
JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

any guess on what this cost? and thank you

tims auto repair :

one moment

tims auto repair :

i can give you the new price

tims auto repair :

but..you would need to sit down

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

great

tims auto repair :

you may want to check with your local salvage yards

tims auto repair :

www.ebay.com

tims auto repair :

or

tims auto repair :

www.carparts.com

JACUSTOMER-wys96icj- :

what year models will work

tims auto repair :
Parts Information OEM Part # Price
Transfer Case
LT230T/Q
Manual
IAB100020 $4022.07
Contact Dealer for most current part and price information
Auto
IAB100050 $3791.18
Labor Information Skill Level Mfg. Warranty Standard
Replace Complete Assembly Without Transfer of Parts
B 4.2 6.5
Replace Complete Assembly With Transfer of Parts
B 4.2 7.5
Overhaul/Rebuild
A 9.9 13.7
Includes: R & I Transfer Case.
tims auto repair :

i think 96-98

tims auto repair :

but

tims auto repair :

you may want to talk to the salvage yars..others may work

tims auto repair :

this is the part# IAB100050

tims auto repair :

also,,,some transmission shops may rebuild yours for a good price

tims auto repair :

you may want to check with some transmission shops

tims auto repair :

Please RATE my answer by clicking the RATINGS button so I can get credit for my work,, the [BAD SERVICE] and [POOR SERVICE] rating does not give me credit].i don't receive commission if you give a less than 3 star/smiley rating ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, ,please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic