Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Chrysler Town & Country Touring: 2010 Chrysler town and

2010 Chrysler town and country...
2010 Chrysler town and country 4.0 with starting problems. 4 times in last 2 months would not start like it is dead. The battery is only 1 year old. 1 st time I had the battery tested, as well as the starter and alternator. All fine. Has started fine in between these 4 separate incidents. I read online that there have been starting problems with this vehicle. What is the problem?
7/30/2013
Pete, Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay.

Does the battery have to be re charged or jump started when this occurs because it is dead when this fault occurs or does the vehicle just have to sit a period of time with no re charge or jump start then it will start?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

We attempted to jump the van when it seemed "dead". No response at all with the jump cables. I took the 1 year old battery to be tested and they said there was nothing wrong with the battery. The next morning the van started just fine. I took it in to a mechanic at that time and he said battery, alternator, starter were fine. Did not know what the problem was. There have been two incidents since in which it did not start on the first try. It acted as if it were dead. No response. After several attempts it then started. I took the van in yesterday to the dealer. They could not find anything wrong with it.

O.k.,from what you have described here and with what I have seen in the past on some of these as well as other vehicles this may be an internal electrical fault with the electronic ignition switch assembly itself.I have seen this switch assembly fail intermittently like this here and cause this type of fault.

This would need to be checked/tested using a multi meter and a scan tool to monitor the ignition switch signals when the vehicle is acting up.If these places have checked/tested the vehicle when the vehicle isn't acting up this is most likely why nothing was found.

In allot of cases I have had to hold onto the vehicle for a day or more and start and drive it off and on to see if I can reproduce the fault this way when it is reproduced it can be tested at the time to find this issue.

This may be an intermittent fault with the electronic ignition switch itself.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician

I use a key fob. Does that have anything to do with it?

If this is a remote start this is still tied into the ignition and the switch is still a possible component here that can fail.

If this is an after market remote start the fault may be with the way it is wired in or the control unit for the remote start.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician