How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask K. Wiggins Your Own Question
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Category: Car
Satisfied Customers: 2867
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician, Associates Degree in Automotive Technology, 15+ years in the trade
Type Your Car Question Here...
K. Wiggins is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Plymouth Grand Voyager SE: I have a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager,

This answer was rated:

I have a 1993 Plymouth Grand Voyager, AWD .....the master brake cylinder, according to my mechanic, is slowly losing it's power and my brake light comes on in the dash.
By continued pressing on the peddle, while running, it gradually goes away but has been coming back more often.
my mechanic checked into the cost of repairing it and NAPA said the part was $700 plus trade...
My mechanic said that if possible, he could convert the hydrolic system that I have to a simple brake system .....if that were possible!

Can you tell me whether or not that's possible? It would save me mucho
Hello, IF he could find the model with non ABS he could indeed swap those parts over. You would need the master cylinder , proportioning valve and brake booster assembly.

Usually most shops would not do this kind of job for liability reasons. Also given the parts and labor to retrofit it may actually be cheaper to go back with the proper part. I'd also highly suggest trying another parts supplier (NAPA is always higher then the other guys) or find a used original unit for your van. I highly recommend the below website for locating quality used parts
K. Wiggins and 7 other Car Specialists are ready to help you