Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Saab 9-3 SE: I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 convertible 2.0. I recently

I have a 2002 Saab 9-3 convertible 2.0. I recently (with some of your advice) had the car rebuilt much of the car including: rebuilt head with new valves; refurbished turbo (even though it was ok); new throttle body, new alternator, compressor, hoses, belts, timing chains, etc. The car runs fine but it is missing some of its former power. Before the rebuilding, the turbo boost gauge would go into the red on hard acceleration. Now it just approaches the red zone. Is there a wastegate adjustment or other switch which can be replaced - if that may be the problem. Thanks for your immediate help.

Welcome back! The Trionic module adapts for maximum boost from the turbo. From what you're describing, it seems that Maximum Boost Adaptation was not performed immediately after repairs and needs to be redone. Click here to view the procedure and relevant graphics (module is located behind the right kick panel.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Is there any way you can call my mechanic tomorrow between 10-12 EST just in case he is unsure as to how to conduct this test and adjustment. His cell number (Mike) XXX-XXX-XXXX and mine is XXX-XXX-XXXX. I'll be glad to add to your fee. Thanks

Hi. Thank you for the generous offer. Unfortunately, our communication with customers is only allowed through the site.
Upon your acceptance, I could leave the question open and keep monitoring it for the next week or so in case you need further assistance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I downloaded the document but my mechanic is somewhat unsure of the procedure. First, on which side of the firewall is the TCI module? Second, are we supposed to disconnect the module and then accelerate under load, or what. Can you provide some more detail of the procedure. Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion. The module is located inside the cabin, behind the passenger side kick panel.
The adaptation procedure:
  1. Unplug the module for about 3 minutes; then plug it back in
  2. Start and idle the engine until it reaches normal operating temperature
  3. Drive until trans has shifted up to Over Drive and vehicle is now cruising with engine at 2000 RPM.
  4. Accelerate from 2000 to 4000 RPM (it is better to do this on an uphill gradient)
  5. Repeat as needed to achieve maximum boost
Keep cool!

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks! That's what I needed.

Thank you!