Dr. Hamman
Dr. Hamman, Automotive Engineer
Experience:  30 years experience, Repairing, building, & designing, automobiles.
9795573

Can I tow a truck with an automatic transmission in neutral behind an RV without damaging

Can I tow a truck with an automatic transmission in neutral behind an RV without damaging the transmission? I have a 2002 F150 now, but am thinking about getting a Nissan Truck (4X4)...

Dr. Hamman :

Hi, I am a professional certified mechanic, with an engineering background, and 35+ years experience. I will do my best to assist you. Also keep in mind I don't know if you are a pro or a novice, so feel free to add any additional info at any time.

Here is what Ford says about towing it.

RECREATIONAL TOWING (ALL WHEELS ON THE GROUND)

An example of recreational towing would be towing your vehicle behind

a motorhome. Follow these guidelines if you have the need for

recreational towing your vehicle with all four wheels on the ground.

These guidelines are designed to ensure that your transmission is not

damaged.

2WD vehicles (with automatic transmissions):

Place the transmission in N (Neutral)

Maximum speed is 56 km (35 mph)

Maximum distance is 80 km (50 miles)

If a distance of 80 km (50 miles) or a speed of 56 km (35 mph) must be

exceeded, the drive shaft will have to be removed before the vehicle is

towed.

Ford recommends the driveshaft be removed/installed only by a qualified

technician. See your local dealer for driveshaft removal/installation.

This can be found on page 199 of the owners manual. I will post a link HERE for the owners manual. If you are considering purchasing another vehicle, check the owners manual for any towing information. Or I can help you with any additional questions. You mentioned a Nissan 4x4 truck, you will have to check the particular model. Vehicles with manual transmissions tend to be more tow-able in general. Still you need to check each vehicle for this ability by year and model before purchasing it to tow. Go over all of this and if you have any more questions at all, I am here to help. Good luck with it, have a great day, and Thanks for using Just Answer.

I do not get paid for my work unless you rate at 3 to 5 Smiley Faces or Stars, a bonus is always greatly appreciated. If the answer is not clear, let me know what additional help you need, and I will be happy to assist you further.