nabilc
nabilc,
Experience:  Manager/co-owner at Autotronic
30385560

holden torana slr 5000: i have fitted a new radiator water

i have fitted a new radiator water pump and thermostat to the standard 308 in my torana and the temperature gauge is siting on 3/4 and sometmes a bit over but is not boiling or losing water and the engine is runing ok what could be causing the high reading i also replaced the temp gauge sender thinking that could be the problem.

Billy :

Hello and Welcome! I'm Billy and i will assist you with your inquiry. Feel free to ask if any further info is needed.

Billy :

is the fan working?

Billy :

and do you have the model with the electrical fan, or the mechanical (driven by the belt)?

Customer:

the fan is mechanical and it is working

Billy :

does it have a clutch?

Billy :

a fan clutch?

Customer: Sorry but don't know what you mean by clutch fan. Fan spins all the time motor is running.
Billy :

Billy :

My apologies for the delay, thank you for your patience.

Billy :

I know the fan spins all the time, but in the center of the fan, where it hooks on the axle, does it have a metal object holding the plastic fan around it?

Billy :

and if yes, can you try and turn the fan while engine is off?

Customer: Fan will not turn when engine off
Billy :

Billy :

In this case, i would recommend using a lower temperature thermostat (as you already are not having boiling water, and no leaks... and the temperature is stable)...

Billy :

Having the stable temperature is the most important factor here... as this means that the cooling system is working as it should... only the temp is a bit higher than normal... accordingly getting a lower temperature thermostat will cure your problem.

Billy :

Thank you for your trust! Get back to me if you need more info...Thank you in advance for the positive rating...
http://www.justanswer.com/car/expert-billy/

Customer: Actually I have been thinking of the thermostat as I bought it from the same place where I got my first sender which did not work and the second sender I got from a different parts shop worked .it is possible they also gave me the wrong thermo .i will go back to place were I got sender from that worked a get new thermo from them.thanks for your help .if new thermo doesn't make difference I will try lower temp thermo as you suggest.once again thanks for your help.
Billy :

You're most welcome!!! and indeed faulty components are part of this business...

Billy :

Get back to me with your results, or if further info is needed.... thank you in advance for the positive rating...Regards, Billy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Mate just to let you know put new thermo in fixed problem. Thermo we took out was rated 10 degrees higher than new thermo we put in.shop that sold me wrong sender also sold me wrong thermo.needless to say will not be dealing with them again.will now deal with shop that gave me right sender and thermo .gary.
Hello Gary,

That is great news!!!

Get back to me whenever you need any assistance.

Cheers!
Billy