Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, Mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

I couldnt find an appropriate category

I couldn't find an appropriate category for this question but figured automotive might work as there are probably several mechanics on here that have done fiberglass repair. I have been making small, strengthening fiberglass patches on a plastic pond liner. they do not need to be 100% watertight as I am still going to be using a rubber flexible pond liner inside this shell before filling it.

By the time I got to the second out of the remaining four pieces of cloth all of the resin had turned green and was congealed. Was this due to a resin/ hardener mixture issue, a contaminant issue or just taking too long for the amount I had mixed and it was setting up.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

this is from the hardener and risen,,

tims auto repair :

this is normal

tims auto repair :

this happens when it begins to harden

tims auto repair :

it will also get hot

tims auto repair :

Customer:

One last question please. Since it was already turning green and congealing when I coated the first piece of cloth that I put on the pond shell will it cause any problem with that patch? I did mix up a new batch to put on the second layer on that patch and to apply the last two pieces for the final patch. I was just worried that since the bottom piece of fiberglass cloth was applied with resin that was already hardening and then the top piece was applied over it with freshly mixed resin I may have an issue with it not curing properly or not adhering.

tims auto repair :

hi

tims auto repair :

you should be fine

tims auto repair :

the new will glue right to the first you applied

tims auto repair :

you should have no problems

tims auto repair :

thanks

tims auto repair :