Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

1992 stepside when going down the road it feels like it is not getting gas like little sp

1992 stepside when going...
1992 stepside when going down the road it feels like it is not getting gas like little spurts then goes and the studders have new wires plugs sensors rotor cap etc had convertor checked timimg chain transmission had it for two days all I get is do not know
7/6/2013
Gary
Gary, Technician

Welcome to Justanswer ! my name is XXXXX XXXXX i will do my best to assist you with this problem

im sorry your having this problem

did anything that was done make this problem any better or worse ?

does the check engine light come on ?

will it only do this driving underload with your foot in the gas pedal ?

no check light is on. it started doing this after the tune up was done for the emission test when she flunked they replaced the oxygen sensor then electric ignation module then ign control mod then the unit fuel pressure. the we replaced the alternator and tension pulley because it picked that time to go out. plus the recommended to have the transmission check and the timing chain to . they could not get her to do the sputtering so they gave it back. It was not to bad till about two days ago it started doing it worse and no way the air condition was coming on. it only when you go and try to go a little faster and more often on a straight away. in town going under 45 to 50 she does it less almost like she has to think about going the right speed. thanks for your help

ok will this be fine at idle and only do this under load when driving and your foots in the gas pedal ?

yes idling is fine just when driving. I also had someone tell me the with 360,000 miles and the original timing belt on it might want to do that to ??

this engine uses a timing chain not a belt

now if the timing chain has stretched on this engine a compression test will tell us if it has or not

has a compression test been done on all 6 cylinders yet ?

no compression check done. beginning to wish I left everything alone because after new spark plugs. cap and wires, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat etc she has run worse that before taking her in. I know things can happen but !!

so this never acted up like this until the cap,rotor and wires spark plugs where changed ?

when was the ignition module changed ?

tune up was on 04-26-2013electonic ignition module was on04-30-2013

ok im sorry for all the questions but I want to be sure to give you the correct answer

so after the tune up it ran bad and changing the ignition module made no difference at all ?

no and then we went thru emission and it flunked so they put in the oxygen sensor on 05-13-2013 then on 05-20-2013 they put in fuel pressure regulator . then recommended check timing belt and trans

ok but when did it start running really bad what was just done to the truck

it never did run right after all the stuff they did and after the two day test from aamco we just drive it until I can take it to them when its doing it so they can feel it. sometimes the studdering is worse than others but she keeps going. the last thing we did was the alternator, serp belt and the tension pully. she ran good for a while without studdering but it came back

ok at this point I feel a compression test needs to be done on all 6 cylinders to rule out a timing chain issue

if the compression test comes out with all 6 over @ 120 PSI then you either have an internal distributor problem or possibly an ignition coil giving out on you

most everything else has been eliminated

let me know what the compression test comes out for all 6 cylinders

sorry for questions. what is internal distributor problem and what if the compression test comes back not normal what could we be looking at

if the compression comes back good then more than likely the distributor center shaft has side to side play in it or the pick up coil inside it is bad which for either its cheaper to install a complete remanufactured distributor
Gary
Gary, Technician

thank you for your help at least you have given me a place to start with out all the crap

anytime

don't forget to rate us here at Justanswer !

and for any follow up any time with this problem just replay back right through this post anytime even after you rate us !

Gary
Gary
Gary, Technician