Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

2007 legacy 120000 miles Running well until stop and in the

2007 legacy 120000...
2007 legacy 120000 miles Running well until stop and in the process of turning off the switch, I noted a flickering of the alternator ( red light). After 5 minutes with car properly parked on level surface and switch turned off, I returned to find that there was no power to start the car, play the radio or turn on the lights; --- while the horn did honk. In the process of attempted jump start there was no electrical power. While checking the under hood main fuse box I suspect that the "120 fuse" is broken, for wiggling the fuse box I was able to see spark across the fuse and with the switch on. I one time saw a spark and heard the fan momentarily run. The automatic transmission lever remains locked in Park. Car was towed to my on vacation mechanic. Where is the short?
7/6/2013
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you saw a spark at the main fuse then you either have a connection problem at the fuse or an internal connection issue in the power distribution center. The first thing that should be done is remove the fuse and check it's contacts and the contacts in the PDC that engage it. If there is corrosion or signs of heat damage then there was a poor connection there. The fuse may need to be replaced, hopefully if there is damage on the PDC side it won't require PDC replacement.

It's possible that the fuse is simply loose also. One or both of the nuts that hold it may be loose.

If there are no external problems with fuse connection and moving the PDC around caused sparks to come from it then the problem has to be internal and it will need to be replaced.

sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

As I observed the fuse is obviously fractured which caused the spark and the momentary contact caused the fan motors to operate for a moment. Your answer that the problem is the power distribution center is not specific enough for me to realize a meaningful answer .as to what caused the fuse to blow..

I didn't know the fuse was blown, you said you moved the power distribution center and saw an arc at the fuse which told me there is a poor connection. If it was blown then it shouldn't be able to make contact again, the element in the fuse may have just broken rather than blown.

The main fuse is inline with the alternator's output and then it supplies all the other fuses in the box. Check for a short to ground on the alternator's positive cable to make sure the cable or the alternator itself isn't shorted. If it's ok then replace the fuse and see what happens. Since all the other circuits it powers have their own, much smaller amperage fuses, it shouldn't blow again (if it was originally) if the alternator circuit isn't shorted.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician

Today, Sunday, I replaced the main fuse with a substitute 80amp substitute
and the engine and accessories returned to function. The transmission
would not disengage from park and ABS light on the dash continued to remain
on except for one brief period when there was double click and the locked
shift lever could be moved and properly shifted. Following this brief
period of function the shifter remained locked and the ABS light remained
on. Rober

on. Robert

Do the brake lamps work?

Yes. I watched as pressure was applied -- both rt and left lights were evident.

Is the shifter still locked and ABS light still on at this time? The shifter relies on brake switch input and the ABS module also receives it so I'm trying to determine if your problem is brake switch related.

Yes, the shifter remains locked. Please remember that there was one short interval when the shifter was not locked, however, when a second attempt and multible subsequent attempts were made; the shifter remained locked.

Robert Naylor

Chris,

The shifter remains locked. There was one intermitt period which followed a "double" click when the shift lever could be advanced into drive. This was not to be repeated.

How would I test the brake switch? Where is the brake switch. I believe that on numerous occasions I depressed the brake peddle in attempt to move the shifter from park. I am very interested in this possibility. Should I replace the Brake switch if it could malfunction to activate the shifter release while the brake light continue to be activated with foot pressure on the peddle?

Sorry for the delay, I got caught up putting my daughter down for the night.

The switch has multiple circuits that run through it so one function can sometimes still work while others don't.

Do you have a test light to do some simple electrical testing?

I do have a test light but limited experience to use it. You must understand that my background does not include qualified mechanic or engineer training but I can follow instructions and seek help. I am drawn toward an answer related to a brake switch problem. Day light is fading and the mosquitoes are out. I began this discussion with your internet colleague and wish to see that you get credit for your patience and good ideas. I will continue my attempt to find an answer tomorrow. Please advise me on your payment and also deductive testing of the brake switch. Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Let's first go to the brake switch and test for power on the white/blue wire. If this is ok the backprobe on the brown/white wire with the connector plugged in and the brake pedal pressed. This wire should power up with the pedal pressed and it is an input to the body control module (BCM). The BCM then powers the interlock solenoid in the shifter to release it and allow you to take it out of park.

The brake switch is mounted on a bracket just above the pedal and has a plunger that contacts the pedal to turn the switch on and off.

Let me know what you see here and we can take it from there. If you don't want to brave the mosquitos any more tonight that's fine. I'm a full time tech and work during the day, if you reply back during the day tomorrow while I'm offline I'll get back with you as quickly as I can.

I did get credit for helping you, and I thank you!

Thank you. To be continued. Bob Naylor

You're welcome!

sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician