Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

My 66 plymouth fury wont start with the switch but can started

Customer Question
My '66 plymouth fury won't...
My '66 plymouth fury won't start with the switch but can started by jumpin gthe selenoid. Bob
Submitted: 4 years ago.Category: Car
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/5/2013
Auto Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 4 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Eclayton4 :

Hello and thanks for your question. My name is Eddie and I will do all I can to help.

Eclayton4 :

Let me first ask, is this manual or automatic transmission?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

automatic

Eclayton4 :

Alright, and you have attempted to start it in neutral and park correct? Rake the gear stick from P to L a few times and try neutral? Does that make any difference?

Eclayton4 :

What engine is in this fury? 318?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

The neutral safety switch is not pluged in.440

Eclayton4 :

ok, so you bypassed it?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

I'm saying the wire from the trans doesn't go anywhere

Eclayton4 :

Alright, My information source doesn't go back that far. I apologize, I was going to post you the wiring diagram. Let me opt out. Another expert may have some diagrams that date back further than myself. When I opt out other experts can then assist in this question. thank you.

Eclayton4 :

Have you got a 12 volt test light by chance? or volt meter?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

yes i have tryed almost every place i could figure

Eclayton4 :

At the wires coming out of your ignition switch, Check the wires one by one with your test light, There should be 1 wire hot in START position? and not hot in OFF or RUN position? That is the wire we need to run to the solenoid where your jumping it.

Eclayton4 :

Do any dash lights come on with Key ON Engine OFF? That way we would know the switch has at least got power going to it.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

All my accessories work when the key is switched on

Eclayton4 :

OK, then we know the ign. switch is powering up.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

I can only jump start the car on the selenoid before the bulk head connection

Eclayton4 :

I'm looking at a wiring diagram. Do you see a YELLOW wire going to the solenoid?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

yes i do, to the left side

Eclayton4 :

Now look at the connector at your ign. switch, do you see a yellow wire coming out of it? We need to check that yellow wire with a test light, and see if it's HOT in START position,

Eclayton4 :

I suspect that wire is broken somewhere between the IGN. switch and the solenoid.

Eclayton4 :

Rather than try to find it, If you can find the wire that is coming out of the ign. switch with a test light that is HOT in START position, I would just run a new wire to the solenoid from the IGN. Switch. That will fix it. Run a new wire from the IGN. switch right to the terminal your jump starting it with at the solenoid.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

Ok i'll try that

Eclayton4 :

Alright, That will fix it, If you can find the wire coming from the swtich that is HOT in START position. Should be yellow by this diagram I'm looking at, but double check it with a test light. Thank you.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

That didn't do anything

Eclayton4 :

What didn't?

Eclayton4 :

Did you see if you had power on the ignition switch yellow wire when the IGN. key was in start position?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

Where do i place the other terminal of my tester for this check, i have two leads on my tester

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

running a yellow wire from the selenoid to the yellow on the switch didn't cause the switch in the start position to sart

Eclayton4 :

put your black lead on any metal ground, and your positive lead on the yellow wire at the connector, should get 12 volts in syart position.

Eclayton4 :

start position.

Eclayton4 :

If the yellow wire isn't hot in START position, Check all of them and see if any of them are. one should be.

Eclayton4 :

If you have some visegrips, I like to clamp the neg. lead on some metal so you don't have to hold it and can free up a hand.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

Yeah none of that's working, It's something before the power reaches the bulkhead

Eclayton4 :

The IGN. switch is powered up if all the dash lights come on though. You checked every wire for any hot wire in START position?

Eclayton4 :

I've looked at the diagram. The YELLOW wire that goes to your solenoid, goes straight to the IGN. switch. So it should be hot in START position. And not hot in RUN position.

Eclayton4 :

You have power on the RED wire correct? at the switch. ?

Eclayton4 :

Does that terminal the yellow wire is on say ST on it? Are those terminals labelled on your switch?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

The red is labeled bat, the yellow labeled st

Eclayton4 :

OK, if the RED checks HOT with your voltmeter, then we know the ign. switch is powered up, If the Yellow wire isn't hot in START position, than the ign. switch is faulty. It's labelled ST for START circuit. And should send voltage to the Solenoid when you put the key in START position.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

Turning the switch to the start position does power up the switch but still doesn't turn over engine, engine turns over only when i jump the selenoid

Eclayton4 :

I understand. You said the YELLOW wire coming out of the switch was NOT hot in START position correct? That is the problem. It's suppose to be HOT in START position. which in turn powers up the solenoid.

Eclayton4 :

If its NOT hot, then the ign. switch is faulty, If it is hot, then the wire is broken from the ign. switch to the solenoid. I would run a new wire from switch to solenoid in that case.

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

No both red and yellow are hot on the switch at start up position

Eclayton4 :

OK, that's good, that's right, the YELLOW is not HOT in Run position though correct?

JACUSTOMER-ya21zt2d- :

While the switch is in the on position i can jump the selenoid and run the motor, by turning the key to the off position the engine stops. Anyone there have any ideas ???

Eclayton4 :

ther experts can assist.let me opt out so o

Eclayton4 :

ther experts can assist.

When you jump the solenoid and the engine cranks, All your doing is providing power to the terminal where the yellow wire plugs in at the starter solenoid.

You do the same thing with the igniiton switch, as the Yellow wire runs from the ign. switch to the starter solenoid.

However, If you have power at the ignition switch ST terminal when you move the key in START ( you said you did) But the engine still doesn't crank, then that means the YELLOW wire is open or corroded or otherwise damaged somewhere from the IGN. Switch to the solenoid.

What I am suggesting is this, Rather than trying to find the open circuit, Cut the YELLOW wire about 6 to 8 inches down from the connector at the ignition switch, then run a new wire from the wire that you cut out through the firewall and to the relay terminal you are jumping to start the engine at. That will fix it.
Edward
Edward
Edward, Service Technician