sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

my mazda 2 55 plate door handle wont open door

my mazda 2 55 plate door handle won't open door. The cable behind the handle moves but does not feel like the lock is moving. I can't get door panel off with door closed. how can I get door open? The central locking is working. 

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Thank you!

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

One way or the other you're going to have to gain access to the door latch from inside. Its pretty inconvenient but you should be able to get the door panel off with the door closed, or at least get the top of it pulled away from the door so you can get down to the latch. There is a screw behind the inside handle and one at the pull handle, otherwise the panel is held to the door shell with push in clips. Your choices are going to be to remove the door panel, break it or cut an access hole in it, definitely try your best to get it off without damage.

Once the panel is off then you can access the latch and cable, make sure the cable is actually attached and intact. If the cable is ok then the problem is going to be internal in the latch and you'll need to dismantle/break it up enough to get to the pawl and then release it with a screwdriver to open the door and replace the latch.

sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience