Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Kia Sorento EX: i have a 05 kia sorento ex 3.5 v6 . It wont

i have a 05 kia...
i have a 05 kia sorento ex 3.5 v6 . It wont start just cranks over. i got power to fuel relay,and the relay seems to be working fine. i even switched it with the horn relay.that being said i dont have power at the inertia switch. but with the key on i have power to the yellow wire.should i have power to both red and yellow with the key on?thanks in advance im on day number six of trying to fix this problem. my wife had a battery installed and didnt drive it for a day then went out to leave and had trouble getting it to start .aftter she got home and parked it ,it hasnt started since.only fast crank.
7/4/2013
Pete, Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

According to what I can see in the diagram for this vehicle it does look like the red wire should have power at this cut out switch as this leads to the fuel pump.If you have power on the yellow wire but not the red you may have a faulty cut out switch needing replaced.

If this switch has any kind of reset on it I would reset the switch and see if it resolves the issue.If it does not then the switch may need replaced to correct this.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician
Thanks Pete for ur input. But shouldnt the red wire have power in the plug that plugs into the switch? Also i we jumped out the switch with no luck.How about the crankshaft sensor. That is what we are leaning towards because we have spark. So what do you think? Also it is not kicking out no codes. We had a new battery installed the day before this all happened. Is there anything from that, could cause these issuies.
Thanks Pete for your effort in resolving my problems. But the plug itself doesnt have power going to the inertia switch.Also we jumped out the inertia switch, with same outcome. We had a new battery installed the day before this all happened. Could that have caused any of these issuies? The old battery was dead for two or three mornings in a row so we had it tested and they said it was a bad battery. Which it was five years old so i figured that it was bad. We are leaning towards the cranshaft sensor but would like to have your thoughts and input first.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
What yellow wire do you have power on?

Let me know,thanks Pete
Hey Pete, i have power going to the inertia switch by the yellow wire only when your cranking the vehicle over. No power to the red wire anytime.
You should have power on the red wire at the inertia/fuel cut out switch if the switch is operating properly when the key cranking over the engine unless this switch is faulty.If you jump yellow to red will the pump run and the vehicle start then?
No Pete it wont run when jumped over.The tach isnt moving while cranking over either. Does that mean crank positioning sensor?. Also ive read about the engine light should come on when key is turned to the on position. And mine dosent. I did something that made it cone on the other day but only for a bit.i also scanned it while it was on and still no codes. Or is it a bad ground somewhere? Im puzzled and appreciate your help.
Do you hear the fuel pump run at all when you jump it or when you leave the swich connected and turn on the key or has fuel pressure been tested at all?
Hey Pete, i have power going to the inertia switch by the yellow wire only when your cranking the vehicle over. No power to the red wire anytime actually after another test i have no powr to the inertia switch at all. Also the four fuses above the starter relay has no power with the key on. Its injection o2 up, o2 down and one other. On inertia switch that was while cranking rhe car over.yes u can hear it sometimes like when the engine lifht came on while troubleshooting the other day. But now aftre light went off i dont seem to hear it. It never wsd really loud anyway. Bur we pulled it out and jumped it and it worked.
O.k.,the Main Relay provides voltage to these fuses here.If this relay has failed or is acting up this can cause this type of fault.This relay looks to be located in the under hood fuse/relay box near the battery.If possible tap on this relay or swap it out and see if the vehicle then starts and runs properly.This relay provides voltage to the fuses you have listed above.

Thanks Pete
Ok after switching relays it still dosent start. Its cranking over but still no start. I sprayed alittle starting fluid into it and it starts so we have fire. Im thinking its a ground somewhere. What do u think or crankshaft sensor?
Usually the crank sensor will cause a no spark issue and it sounds like you have spark here so I dont think this is the case here.

Does the main relay click with the key on or when cranking over the engine and when you swapped it out was it swapped out with the correct part number relay?
ok i checked the relay. Yes i swapped it with one of the same numbers.but as far as feeling it click with key on and while cranking,it is not.
O.k.,unfortunately I am at a loss on this one here.

I will opt out and put this question back on the list to see if others can help more.Don't reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep the question locked to me.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete
mastertech29
mastertech29, ASE Certified Technician
you need to see if you are getting power to the fuel pum. If you are the fuel pump is bad easy way to check is hit the fuel tank while someone is cranking the engine if it starts the pump is bad please let me know if you need anything else
no im not getting power to the fuel pump. I pulled it out and wired it straight and it works. The four fuses above the start rslay dont have any power its injecter,o2up,o2dn,and ecu.i know p/trn fuse is what tells the main relay to engauge which then guves power to those fuses to work. Stabdby and ill check.the p/trn fuse to see if its got power.thabks for your response. Im on day number seven missing with this thing.
no problem, keep me posted I am here to help
yes i do have power to the p/trn fuse. I found someone on here that had my exact issues and Randall answered.for them. By what he says one of three things the ecm has failed,main relay failed,which i swithed it with another one with same outcome and or a wiring problem. Where is the ecu and how can i check it?. I really appreciate any and all input in this matter.
there is no wat to test the ecu unless you send it out but it is located under the dash on the left hand side
idk if this will help but i did locate the tccu (transfer case control unit) under the carpet in passenger floorboard and found water and one wire that had broken and came out of the middle plug. We cleaned everything and resoldered the wire to the little prong that it broke from and cleaned everything with denatured alcahol and reinstalled with no change but like i said maybe it might help you on your end. Sounds like a bad ground to me somewhere but i guess tomorrow ill get the dash apart and acess the ecm and see if i can find anything out of place.yhanks for your help
Pete, Technician