Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Saab 9-3 Aero: my 2008 saab was hit on the offside wheel and

my 2008 saab was hit...
my 2008 saab was hit on the offside wheel and damaged all down the offside. The steering arm needed to be replaced . now after repair the ignition key will not turn saying key not recognised but during repair the key did work. garage is now saying the impact has caused a problem with the ignition despite it working previously
7/4/2013
Pete, Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

Usually an external impact like this here wont cause damage to the ignition switch assembly but I wouldnt rule it out.If this shop hasnt checked to see if the key needs programmed this should be done.In some cases a local shop wont be able to fully test this fault or diagnose it without the correct diagnostic tool and a dealer may need to check to see if this is a program issue or if this is for sure an internal electrical fault with the ignition switch itself.

The ignition switch can be a common component that can fail and can cause this but usually isnt an issue after a collision has occured.I would ask the shop what type of gaurantee if they replace the ignition switch or component they want to replace that this will correct the problem and if it doesnt will they cover the costs for this repair since it was misdiagnosed as some shops will help or cover the costs if misdiganosed.This may just need a relearn if possible.

Thanks Pete
Pete, Technician

thanks Pete the thing I do not understand is that the key worked a couple of times during repair but now the key will not work so they are saying impact has caused problem. I know the battery went flat and had to be recharged and then after that it did not work Is it just a reprogramme situation The key for a saab fits into a switch near to handbrake Confused as they got an 'expert' but did not diagnose problem!!

HI Pete could you reply to my comment? Thanks Colin

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
I apologize for the delay (4th weekend)

This may have failed shortly after the other repairs were done,usually this wouldnt be something that fails in a collision but it is possible the jolt from the impact may have caused this and it may have worked intermittently the first few times and now not at all.This may also be some possible wirign damage that has caused this as well.

I would have this checked into further to see for sure if the switch itself is at fault or if this is wiring at fault causing this.

Thanks Pete

they had to replace the doors so the only electrics they would have worked on would be the electric windows. I am just concerned they have created the problem and then intend to charge me for it. I am assuming however you agree it could have been caused by the impact in which case they would be entitled to charge me for the repair which so far they have failed to resolve !

It is difficult to say for sure from here if this was something that was created from the impact or something they may have caused themselves,if this is a reputable shop then this may be correct with the impact causing this or failing shortly after they had done their repairs.

Thanks Pete

ok thanks I think that is as far as we can take it. I am in uk and you are in US! I may have to get a second local opinion if they eventually fix it depending on what they charge me.. Regards Colin

Your welcome,a second hands on opinion may be best to determine if this was caused by them or if it failed on its own.

Let us know if you need anything else in the future.

Thanks Pete

they have replaced the electronics box and it started after being reprogrammed BUT the horn not working so they are saying it needs a new cim if so does that seem right and are new keys required Thanks

The column integration module can be at fault here for the horns and if replaced you shouldnt need to replace the keys.

bad news as expensive to replace ! i just could not forsee all this after my accident!

This module may be a result of the accident as I have seen some steering column control modules fail after a collision or due to the collision.I would speak with your insurance company to see if they will help with these costs as they may also think this is related to the accident as well.

Thanks Pete

The problem is I took the chance of buying back the car as written off . Gamble is not paying off!

Unfortunately it does sound like this could get expensive to repair.I wish I had better news for you on this here.

Thanks Pete

ce la vie Thanks Colin

Your welcome.
Pete, Technician