Car

Ask a Mechanic Online and Get Answers to Your Car Questions

Car

Plymouth Acclaim: The "emergency brake is on light(red color)"

The "emergency brake is on...
The "emergency brake is on light(red color)" stays on after EM brake released. 1989 Plymouth Acclaim. How can I turn it off, and what is wrong with the sensor.
7/2/2013
Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

Hello, My name is Jack (MR.PUTTPUTT) I will do my best to assist you today. I am sorry to hear you are having problems with your

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

can you tell me if the brake is all the way up try and pull the release lever and at the same time pull up on the pedel

Customer:

Waiit a minuite and I will try that

Customer:

The light is still on and the break pedal is up all the way.

Customer:

I notice that when I apply the boot pedal brake it goes quite low but does not touch the floor

Customer:

I meant brake pedal

Customer:

also the release lever will not return to its normal postion by itself, I have to push it back down

Customer:

I can not see what the expert is typing

Customer:

I have not received an answer at yet, Please advise

Customer:

If I rate you now I would have to rate you as Bad service....Because I am still waiting for your answer which you say you have sent. Where is it?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the same light will

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I am not on all the time I am on and off, I did not say I have sent you a answer we are still troubleshooting

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

the same light on the car will come on for low brake fluid also can you check and see if the fluid is low

Customer:

Sorry, I received an email stating that my question had been answered and I should rate you now.

Customer:

I am sorry it I misunderstood the email I received stating that you had answered me and I should rate you now. I am glad you contacted me again so I can correct the misunderstanding.

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I do not know what happened there, but the way this should work is that we trouble shoot the problem then I hope we get the right answer, I know that some think that we are all in a room answering questions but that is not how it works I myself own and run a repair shop in wisconsin so if I do not get right back to you please wait and I will asap

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

can you check and see if the fluid level is low as this will also turn on the light

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

does the ebrake have play in it like the brake did not release all the way?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

on an 89 the cables for the ebrake could be rusted and not letting the pedal come all the way off

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

there could be several things that could cause this so please hang in there

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

we will have to trouble shoot a few things possibly

Customer:

I checked and the master cylinder is full of brake fluid. I checked both sides of the cylinder. Thanks for the clarification. I'll wait until I hear from you. And then I'll re rate you and give you an excellent rating even if we still don't know,, because I want to thank you for getting back to me anyway. There inj no play in the Ebrake but as I noted before the release lever will not return to normal position by itself

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok so when you release the lever did you have to pull up the pedal

Customer:

no but i checked to see if it was up and it was

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

does the car move normal IE is the ebrake on at all?

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

even though the pedal is up the brake could still be on

Customer:

It moves normal... but the foot brake pedal seems to go too far down when i apply it but the breaks seem to work

Customer:

could this be a problem with the master cylinder

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

to test that start the car and pump the brake a couple of times and then hold the foot brake on and see if the pedal continues to go down if the pedal keeps going all the way to the floor you could have a leak and this also will turn on the light

Customer:

I'll try that....and let you know..give me a few minutes

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

ok

Customer:

I tried and the pedal stops just above the floor. However when I backed the car and pumped the brakes The light would go out and sometimes back on. Then when I drove forward and pumped the brakes The light would go out and sometimes back on. Plus I noticed the ebrakes would sometimes to higher and sometimes lower.

Customer:

Plus I noticed the ebrakes would sometimes be higher and sometimes lower.

Customer:

I'll wait for your reply

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what is happen is the ebrake is sticking on and thus making like a void in the rear brake and then the fluid has to little resistance to the rear brake and the cylinder is turning the light on

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

were you using the ebrake regular

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

as in time wise

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

a car this old is going to have most likely rusted brake cables and that is what is at the root of the problem

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

what you could try is setting the brake a little and then when you release the pedal use your hand and pull the pedal up as you are releasing the brake and see if you can get it all the way back up

Mr.PUTTPUTT :

I am going to off line for a little bit I will be back on I have to drive home from the shop.

Customer:

Ok, I'm going to change your rating now. I don't use this car often but need to have it inspected this year to renew the license tags. I'll try to have a mechanic work on it and free up the ebrake cables. Thanks for your help.

Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician
Jack
Jack
Jack, Auto Service Technician