Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

Ford Crown Victoria LX: 2005 crown Victoria LX: alternator

2005 crown Victoria LX: alternator was replaced with one of another crown Vic. Now the alternator is charging the two day old bee battery but, the battery light says alluminated
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If this light is staying on with this other alternator out of the other vehicle installed it may be possible the alternator installed is not the correct amperage output to the battery and is causing this here.I would check the part number to see if it is an alternator that is required for this vehicle and if it is not then it would need replaced with one that is.

If it is correct and this issue is with this replacement and rebuilt one check and make sure the battery is receiving a good charge.It should have near or above 12 volts with the engine running with the headlights on,radio on,ac on defrost on etc. to load up the electrical system to see if it is maintaining charge.If it is not then the alternators themselves may be at fault here or the cable from the alternator to the battery may be an issue and would need checked over.These are most common for this here.

Thanks Pete
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A new alternator was installed tidy a 1000 hrs with same problem. Battery shop says, no commutation with PCM
O.k.,the next thing I would do is check the cables leading from the battery to the alternator if the battery isn't receiving a charge.You can check the charge somewhat by checking voltage at the battery with the engine running and load up the electronics like the lights,heater,rear defrost etc. to see if the voltage remains around 12 volts or higher.If it does then this may be an internal electrical fault in the instrument cluster.If it does not then I would suspect a fault with the cable leading from the alternator to the battery or starter as this cable can corrode or become damaged and cause this.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete