FixItMan
FixItMan, Master Technician
Experience:  AA DEGREE AUTOMOTIVE/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Mazda Milennia: I have a Mazda Milennia, 2001, which has served

I have a Mazda Milennia, 2001, which has served me very well, and I can't afford to invest in a new car at age 80. My local mechanic, whom I trust implicitly (and the nearest Mazda dealer, who also sells Korean cars I have found untrustworthy with an honest interest in selling the new ones) has given up finding a solution to my dangerous problem.
The car performs normally until it has been driven 30-40 miles, then it stalls on me at stop signs, and I have a noisy and difficult time restarting it. Because of the loud rumble noise
in my effort to restart it (as traffic piles up behind me), people turn and look.
To complicate my question, there is a very slow "leak" of coolant from the engine (and I've been adding about 1/2-inch of coolant every morning) for nearly two years, which keeps the indicator below the half mark consistently. Hope you can be of help. I'm not mechanically inclined, having made my living as the editor of a NYC music magazine for 20 years, then an editor/corporate librarian for "Weekly Reader" for the next 20 years.
Did not have a father, or father substitute, from age six on. Enjoy laughing with the cartalk brothers every Saturday.

FIX IT MAN :

Hello and thank you for the question. I have a couple of questions for you first. Does the check engine light come on when driving? How many miles are on the vehicle? Do you know if the vehicle has the 2.3 or 2.5 engine?

Customer:

Engine light goes on for a while, then off for a while. Has been doing that for years. About 165,000 mi. on vehicle. A 2.3 or 2.5 engine? I don't know.

Customer:

Awaiting answer in response to my answer to his questions.

FIX IT MAN :

Thank you for the response and sorry for the delay. I do really need to know what engine size you have if you can get it. If not let me know and I will let you know what can go wrong with both engines that can cause this.

Customer:

I'll have to ask the local owner of Moodus Auto Center which it is. He won't be open until Monday, 7/1.

Customer:

Moodus Auto Center isn't open until Monday, 7/1. Will ask. Customer/p>

FIX IT MAN :

Please let me know when you can as I would prefer to be more accurate. It sounds like a problem with the vehicles crank position sensor though. It is common for this sensor to fail intermittently and cause the vehicle to run like this.

Customer:

Reporting back to the Mazda doctor: Moodus Auto Center says I have a 2.5 (6 cylinder) engine.

Customer:

He also said perhaps it doesn't fit a code? Any other ideas? Best. Bob

Customer:

Still awaiting a final reply. I was in touch with the local Moodus Auto Shop and passed on his comments.

Customer:

Now that you know it's a 2.5 (6 cylinder) engine, I've not had a reply--so I feel it's incomplete.

FIX IT MAN :

Sorry for the delay. I was unavailable. Thank you for getting me that information. It sounds like a bad crank sensor or a problem with the throttle body. I would have the throttle body cleaned and the bore checked for any grooves. If there is a groove then the throttle plate can get stuck in it. If that is fine then the crank sensor is the most common.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Next I'll contact Car Talk after their vacation, which shouldn't cost me $$.

Please let me know if you need anything else.