Pete, Technician
Experience:  17 years automotive training and experience.
14928985

LAND ROVER LR3 HSE: 2005 LAND ROVER LR3 HSE, I LEFT IT PARK

Customer Question

2005 LAND ROVER LR3 HSE, I LEFT IT PARK FOR ABOUT 2 MONTH AND WHEN I WENT TO USE IT I HAD TO PUSH ON THE SHIFTING LEVER TO GET IT TO START, NOW AFTER IT WAS SITTING FOR TWO WEEKS IT WONT EVEN TURN TO START , SOMETIME WHEN I HIT ON THE SHIFTING LEVER IT WILL START TO TURN OVER MOMENTERY. THANKS J.C.
Category: Car
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
My name is Pete and I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

This vehicle should have a selector position switch located in the shifter assembly and this switch indicates to the vehicles control units that it is in park.If this switch fails and reads incorrectly it will cause this no start like this here usually requiring the shifter itself needing replaced.

I am unable to locate the exact diagrams on how to test this on this model here but I would have fault codes checked with a scan tool that can communicate with this vehicles computers as well as the scan tool used to monitor the data to see if the gear selector shows being in park when in park.If it does not then the control units think the vehicle is not in park and will keep the engine from turning over and starting.This can cause this type of fault here.

Thanks Pete
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete