Greg
Greg, Technician
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

1988 Isuzu NPR: All "warning" lights on

1988 Isuzu NPR: All "warning" lights except those for oil pressure and low charge are on. Any ideas of what the problem may be? Thanks.

Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Recheck the voltage output at the battery with the engine running should have 14volts +/- .5volts .if the charge is low then the said warning lights will come ON.

Please check this then if you need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Much thanks! Due to weather, I didn't have an opportunity to check the output voltage as you suggest. My first thought, however, is wouldn't a low voltage condition be indicated by the "discharge" indicator light -- which, in this case, isn't on (?) Thanks again.

Hi Jeff .

Did you not mean the battery light was ON ? (and low charge are on.)

Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Greg

All warning lights are on EXCEPT those for oil pressure and low battery . ' Sorry if I confused the issue by referring to the "battery" light as "low charge".

Jeff

Hi Jeff .

Do the voltage check first .

Then get back to me .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Greg

Voltage check at the batteries with engine running indicates 11.8 volts which is same as battery voltage (when completely disconnected)

Thanks,

Jeff

UPDATE: upon reconnection of batteries the "BATT" light is ON -- other warning lights remain on (same as prior to battery disconnection/reconnection)

Hi Jeff .

Have the alternator rebuilt or replaced , i see this so often Jeff that why i asked you to check the voltage with the engine running .

All the best ,and if you need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks, Greg.

The alternator was rebuilt recently (less than 100 miles). This truck has been to three different truck service shops (including an Isuzu dealer) -- same story every time -- everything's fine for a few miles, then the same problem reappears. Now, $2000 later, it's going back to the dealer's shop first of the week.

Thanks again.