SARMIENTO22556
SARMIENTO22556, Auto Service Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, ADVANCED ENGINE PERFORMANCE,OVER 20 YRS. ON ALL MAKES OF VEHICLES
8532170

pontaic bonneville se: Have an 03 pontaic bonnie. 92k miles

Have an 03 pontaic bonnie. 92k miles .Took it to firestone for ac check they said said to take it to dealer. The ac tested out fine, but the modum control on drivers side doesnt work
since im a senior need to save $$$. What do you think I should do?

SARMIENTO22556 :

hello and welcome to justanswer.com, is this a repair you might want to consider to do yourself? what was the problem that you brought it to Firestone for originally?

Customer:

The knob that sets the temp on the drivers side does not work pontaic part 939122 dash control unit. firestone ran a sensor test and said that the ac works fine and to take it to dealer dealer wants 125 to check it out. dont know if its worth it. ac control on pass side works fine.

Customer:

and no as a sr over 75 i wont try to dyi

SARMIENTO22556 :

the climate control unit is all included, passenger and driver's side. i can understand you want to try and save some money. the one problem with the whole situation is whether Firestone made the right diagnosis. you can take your chances and just have the control panel replaced. If the diagnosis is correct then it will only cost you the part and the labor to install it. You can try a salvage yard or ebay to see if the unit is available for a cheaper option. You would then have to find an independent shop that would be willing to install the part with the understanding that they did not originally diagnose the problem.

Customer:

so do u think i shld go back to my reg mechanic he said he has to remove the dashboard just to see whats wrong, and ive been going to him for years.

SARMIENTO22556 :

Yes if you have a regular mechanic that you trust i would definitely go to him. based on the symptoms you are describing it does sound like the control panel unit is faulty. if you have the part already for him, he could probably just install it when he takes the dash apart.

Customer:

i rather not gambel. The dealer is trying to get me to trade it in, before some thing expensive breaks, but they dont make bonnie anymore, and I laft when the ads give the milage on tv I get 315 320 per tank now.

SARMIENTO22556 :

you mean gamble with Firestone's diagnosis? if trading the vehicle in is a viable option then i would consider it.

Customer:

cant realy afford it, and my son dosent think i shld be saddled with a 60 month new car loan at 78

Customer:

what do u think i shld look for?

Customer:

r u still with me. can the left side be repaired instead of replaced?

SARMIENTO22556 :

i'm confused look for in what?

SARMIENTO22556 :

no as i stated previously the left and right controls are part of one single unit and have to be replaced as a unit

Customer:

a used car I figure 10 and up but need 4 doors auto trans and a/c what is the highest milage i shld take?

SARMIENTO22556 :

how much do you think you have to spend?

Customer:

want to keep it under 20k if possible will have to get financing

SARMIENTO22556 :

under 20 k gives you a lot of possibilities....... you could get a model with 30,000 miles or less for that money

SARMIENTO22556 :

depending on how fancy of a model, make you want to buy

Customer:

dont need fancy need safe i take the grandkids in the back and need saftey locks for back door for 5 year old

Customer:

at 90 bucks an hr homw much to u think the labor would be for that part?

SARMIENTO22556 :

let me if i can look up the book time for the repair hold on a second

SARMIENTO22556 :

according to the repair manual it should not be any more than one hour labor to relace the control panel

SARMIENTO22556 :

so with the part you are looking at no more than 300 dollars

Customer:

ok thanks for your help and suggestions bye